PDA

View Full Version : ONR eek!

Pages : [1] 2

Ern
10-27-2007, 01:16 PM
So im out in the garage today to get the hhr ready for winter. I figured id go ahead and try out my onr sense ive had it all summer and never touched it. Put in some cap fulls of solution with a couple gallons of water and used a grout sponge for the first time. Id have to say I felt retarded and scared at the same time. I felt like I was using way to much water becuase it was everywhere and the sponge made this awful screeching whoosh sound across the paint. Made me feel like I was scratching the crap out of it. Any tips? My sponge is now the color of dirt, are these things supposed to rinse clean like new?

imported_agentf1
10-27-2007, 01:23 PM
I use a sheep skin mitt for my QEW.

distrbd
10-27-2007, 01:45 PM
I would use the two bucket system with warm water ,wet your sponge in the rinse water first then in onr,go only 3-4 times back and forth(with almost no pressure) then rinse and wipe the spot with a clean MF towel you can use it on the windshields as well.

I know what you mean about being apprehensive at first but ONR is not going to scratch your paint if done properly.

What I do is after I finish I use PB spray &wash to remove any residue left on the paint ,it also gives it a nice shine.

SuperBee364
10-27-2007, 02:07 PM
I just did a two bucket ONR wash on the Sequoia using a grout sponge. It seemed to work really well. Both buckets contained ONR. The one I used for wetting the sponge before using it on the paint, the other I used to rinse the dirt and grime off the sponge. Grout sponges release the stuff that`s in them so well. After doing a small section of the car, I`d put the GS in the second bucket and run my fingernails repeatedly over the GS until all the dirt was released from the surface of the sponge. Then a quick dunk in the first bucket, then do another panel. The water in the first bucket was very clean at the end of the wash, the second was very dirty, and the GS itself looked almost new after.

When using the sponge on the paint, I try to constantly "roll" it so that new sponge surface is always on the paint. That way the dirty sponge surface isn`t taken for a ride all the way across the panel I`m washing.

Using a GS, ONR, and rolling the sponge seems to work very well. A thorough halogen inspection afterward showed no marring.

Thanks to SpoiledMan and ONR, I may not have to do any paint correction on my cars next spring.

Ern
10-27-2007, 03:35 PM
do you squeeze the spong at all while going over the paint? Or just suck up some water in the sponge and gently glide it?

Rob Tomlin
10-27-2007, 04:21 PM
I tried the grout sponge today (had a brand new one laying around). It`s not for me.

SuperBee364
10-27-2007, 04:39 PM
do you squeeze the spong at all while going over the paint? Or just suck up some water in the sponge and gently glide it?

No, but I do pre-spray each panel with QD strength ONR. Then I saturate the sponge from bucket 1, then do the rolling thing.

Ern
10-27-2007, 06:07 PM
Im not sure what happend but my sponge is black. It looks no where near brand new. Not sure if this is for me.

imported_Blake
10-27-2007, 06:41 PM
Used Grout Sponge with ONR on a well soiled finish and as I used it I rinsed it and it came out clean at the end. Regardless of it being a sponge or a mit you are not going to drag the same dirt around the vehicle`s surface. One bucket or two you squeeze the sponge in the bucket(s) after each panel?

Ern
10-27-2007, 07:25 PM
I used the 2 bucket method, ONR with the sponge, whipe a couple of times, flip the sponge, whipe a couple more then dunk it in the rinse and squeeze it out. Then I would dunk it in the onr again and repeat. Not sure why mine is pretty much black now though. Car was pretty dirty I guess.

Providince
12-03-2007, 04:04 PM
I used the 2 bucket method, ONR with the sponge, whipe a couple of times, flip the sponge, whipe a couple more then dunk it in the rinse and squeeze it out. Then I would dunk it in the onr again and repeat. Not sure why mine is pretty much black now though. Car was pretty dirty I guess.

I just ONR`d for the first time this weekend using the two bucket method with warm water. I also used the grout sponge. One the top half the sponge rinsed very clean. When doing the bottom half of the car and tires that is where it got black. I am not sure if it picked up something that would dye the sponge. Mine are black and will not come back to that yellow color. I am concerned about using them again on the main part of the car. I think I am just going to use two sponges, one for the top and one for the bottom. I will then use the black ones for the wheels. I will then retire sponges down over time.

SpoiledMan
12-03-2007, 06:45 PM
Run the sponge under warm/hot water. Add dish detergent and massage it in well. Rinse until no suds come out and use as new. It`ll look pretty much new too.:)

imported_Bence
12-03-2007, 07:41 PM
ONR binds the dirt to the washing media, so it`s not the sponge`s fault when it fails to rinse clean during the wash.

Paulie Walnuts
12-03-2007, 10:27 PM
Run the sponge under warm/hot water. Add dish detergent and massage it in well. Rinse until no suds come out and use as new. It`ll look pretty much new too.:)

I tried that and it didnt come out clean. Ran through the washer and it didnt come out clean. It worked well but Im not sure if Im maring or not. Still to this day the best way to use ONR is with a ultra plush MF from Pakshak.

JBs
12-03-2007, 10:37 PM
ONR is awesome on well maintained cars... i use regular wash and degreaser for cars in bad condition though (that will end up needing a sealant or wax anyway).