PDA

View Full Version : Shampoo and slickness

SVR
10-26-2007, 10:41 PM
To anyone who has tried a large amount of shampoo`s

Are there any available that take none to a very small amount of slickness away from the paint and that definately enhance the finish.

I absolutely adored four star ultimate`s wash until I noticed that the paint goes from butter smooth to quite grabby after just one or two washes and dries out exterior trims

Got a far better result from Werkstatt wash which is sodium free but it didn`t excite me

Sure it cleans but I expect shampoo`s to do more than that these days

I`ve gotten fantastic cleaning from all of those I`ve used, mostly autogeek branded ones

DP`s wash (old label) is the worst of any I`ve tried for drying out the paint

Einszett perls and exclusive are terrific washes that do add to the finish but don`t have the sudsy solution that I want. Suds are severely lacking and I`m worried about marring because of the lack of thick solution. It`s almost like water.

After using those and running out of perls, I tried XT88 from new zealand that claimed amazing gloss improvement

Well it`s PH neutral and cleans well but didn`t add to the finish and again, paint losing too much slickness.

My latest favourite is Driven`s protective wash mixed with duragloss 921

Slickness remains for much longer, is concentrated and the water becomes a purpleish volcano of sudsy solution.

Would Duragloss wash suit my needs?

I`m thinking that only by adding QD`s to the shampoo solution or the bottle that slickness will remain the same and the finish actually enhanced.

I quite like chem guys extreme bodywash and will be using that as my economical wash before detailing but can`t use it after polishing because it will take the slick finish away

Yesterday I used DP in the foam gun and Optimum in the buckets and I had to go over the windows and paint with showroom glaze to get them back to the super slick feel that I got with the machine polishing. Took me over 25 mins due to the size of the car

There`s no way that I want to do that every time.

ron231
10-27-2007, 01:18 AM
If you use chemical guys citrus wash and gloss properly, it will leave the paint looking like you just hit it with a QD, however it can strip your LSP if used improperly.

Honestly, you are never going to get the same slickness and gloss out of just washing and drying as you would if you hit it with a nice QD like your aussie gold. You might not notice it on lighter colors, but on black you will for sure.

NSXTASY
10-27-2007, 01:57 AM
DG 903 is a little harsh on LSPs if used at a high concentration i.e 1oz/gallon. I really like Z7 but it is pretty expensive considering the largest size is 16 oz.

Ultima Wash is extremely gentle and at 1/2 oz / 3 gallons it produces a ton of suds. However, it takes some slickness away, but not much.

If you want to add slickness, or at least maintain it, I think you may need to look for a Wash and Wax soap, like 1Z Glanz Wash or FK1 Wash/Wax soap.

3wide
10-27-2007, 02:45 AM
[quote name=`ron231`]If you use chemical guys citrus wash and gloss properly, it will leave the paint looking like you just hit it with a QD, however it can strip your LSP if used improperly.

]

you ever use any of the other chemical guys shapoo`s? i haven`t just looking for some reviews.

tom p.
10-27-2007, 07:04 AM
SVR, Griot`s shampoo is likely the product you seek. Very forgiving when it comes to protecting your LSP.

imported_memnuts
10-27-2007, 07:48 AM
Add a cap full or two of QEW to the shampoo bucket. Works great.

SVR
10-27-2007, 09:26 AM
thanks everyone, I`ll look into it further

danforz
10-27-2007, 10:31 AM
Add a cap full or two of QEW to the shampoo bucket. Works great.

Will the same occur with ONR?

purplenurple
10-27-2007, 11:16 AM
Will the same occur with ONR?

It should. It will a little something to the paint + softer water and better lubrication

dmatre
10-27-2007, 01:12 PM
SVR, Griot`s shampoo is likely the product you seek. Very forgiving when it comes to protecting your LSP.

+1 for Griot`s. Very good lubrication, good suds, very easy on the finish.