PDA

View Full Version : Okay to use cotton towels to detail?

mhuie
10-26-2007, 05:02 PM
It seem like everyone uses microfiber towels to apply/remove product as well as dry their cars.

I have a stash of probably 100+ cotton towels. Is it okay to use them or do I really need to invest in some microfiber towels? Some of them have been washed more than a few times and arent so fluffy anymore.

Rob Tomlin
10-26-2007, 05:11 PM
People used cotton towels for decades prior to MF. Just make sure they are top quality cotton towels....100%.

I would still recommend MF though.

jesselyons2002
10-26-2007, 05:25 PM
I would just use the for the interior, wheels and engine, metal surface`s. But not on the exterior paint.

TrueDetailer
10-26-2007, 05:46 PM
People used cotton towels for decades prior to MF. Just make sure they are top quality cotton towels....100%.

X2

Nothing wrong with a quality terry cloth towel. Microfiber towels are just the new fad.

You would be surprised how many pro detailers still use them.

Mikeyc
10-26-2007, 08:42 PM
I like to use microfiber because they don`t lint. Otherwise, a high quality cotton towel like a DF Towel for instance performs as well as a microfiber.

BigAl3
10-26-2007, 09:37 PM
do a side by side comparison, and see what you like better. one thing you can do is, QD half the hood and use the cotton towel on one side, and a mf on the other, etc...

Accumulator
10-27-2007, 07:03 PM
I`d CD-test `em first. And I`d retest regularly because sometimes cotton towels can get mighty stiff.

I`ve marred (admittedly soft) automotive paint with high-quality 100% cotton towels (the reserged Charismas that were so popular a while back). And somebody (was it AutoInt? I forget...this was four or five years ago) had some really scary pictures of previously flawless black paint that`d been wiped once with 100% cotton towels; under 30X magnification the marring was just awful.