PDA

View Full Version : I got knocked off by America`s laziest criminals

imported_themightytimmah
10-25-2007, 06:00 PM
Has anyone else had a really random crime happen to them? I went out last night at around 1130 to run to the store, and the mirror glass was missing off my car:sosad. I got about 100 feet down the road before I noticed. Someone stole the glass off of both sides, but luckily there was no damage to the paint on either mirror or the rest of the car.

The cops came out (gotta love Boca, they sent 3 cars, a detective, and the Lieutenant on duty), but there`s not a really high chance of catching the guy unless he does it again. Does anyone know of a good place to look for mirror glass? I`ve been looking online but all I can find is the mirror housings as a whole piece. It`s a 1997 Grand Prix, GTP package, power mirrors (no damage to the motors luckily), glass is not electrochromatic or anything.

At least I wasn`t in Miami, they probably would have taken everything *but* the glass.

littlemissGTO
10-25-2007, 06:13 PM
Try calling places that do glass replacement. Safelite Autoglass comes to mind.

bigltc
10-25-2007, 06:29 PM
My wife went to the mall and it was raining when she came out. She put on the wipers and noticed someone stole the wiper blades. Sheesh!

Cooter
10-25-2007, 06:30 PM
Do you have any friends that own a body shop or work at one??? They could probably hook you up with the mirrors.

Sorry to hear about that man. Talk about random.

Old Pirate
10-25-2007, 06:38 PM
Sorry to hear that, try looking in a salvage yard.

pgp
10-25-2007, 06:58 PM
try clubgp.com - for sale section, local scrap yards etc.

JohnZ3MC
10-26-2007, 12:10 AM
The mirror thefts may be the updated version of the older hood ornament thefts of years ago.

You`re in Boca Raton, I`m in Western Canada and a couple of months ago I was visiting a buddy in town. Just minutes before I got to his place, he watched 3 older teens stop by a telephone pole and empty a packsack and drop the glass of 12 random side mirrors.

The buddy called the police and reported the discovery but I wonder if we`re witnessing the newer version of the older hood ornament theft.

Call the police back in a few days, they may have a collection of mirrors sooner than you think.

-John C.

azenthusiast
10-26-2007, 01:20 AM
Is there a point to the hood ornament/mirror theft or is it just dumb kids with nothing productive to do? That really sucks though. I don`t understand why people can`t respect the property of others.

imported_Yal
10-26-2007, 08:18 AM
The mirrors are expensive and they can easily be sold on ebay. Its one of those things that are easily removed but cost more than you think. For example the little rubber mud guards (air deflectors) that sit in front of the rear wheels on some cars like BMW, Subaru or Saab, these things are held on by clips or one or two screws yet they cost a fair chunk of change to replace.

jimmie jam
10-26-2007, 09:43 AM
Try calling places that do glass replacement. Safelite Autoglass comes to mind.

i agree. they might be able to help or send you in the right direction.:bat

ZeusCGP
10-27-2007, 05:30 PM
Morad Parts Company - Your source for 3800 parts! (http://www.moradpartscompany.com)

That`s where mostly everybody on ClubGP buys their used stock stuff.

David Fermani
10-28-2007, 12:34 AM
The mirror glass for your car are $82.72 each. You can find used mirrors (complete) here:

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market (http://www.car-part.com)

They are as cheap as $35 each. Alot of times when people remove the glass, they destroy the plastic mounting tabs inside the mirror housing. If that`s the case, the whole mirror needs to be replaced + painted. I know of a few body shops in Boca that can do the work for you pretty cheap. Let me know...