PDA

View Full Version : Pseudo Noob with PC - looking for tips

DBQDan
10-25-2007, 02:07 PM
Hi there...long time reader, noobie poster!

I`ve got a PC7436 that I`ve been using with LC white pads for cleaning my Honda`s paint. Here`s what I`ve been doing in the past:

1) Full wash and dry

2) Clay till squeeky clean

3) Break out the PC with white LC pads and Klasse AIO

4) Putting a couple thin lines of AIO on the pad, put set the PC at 4 or 5 and start working the car one panel at a time

5) I`ll work the AIO till it starts to get dusty, then wipe that panel, apply more AIO to pad, and keep on truckin`.

6) Occassionally I`ll apply Klasse SG after this, and you have to use that very sparingly (trial by fire)

7) Apply wax by hand and buff off

8) Final wipe down with either Griot`s Spray Detailer, Spray-on Wax, or AquaWax

9) Pass out from near exhaustion

I`m still seeing some fine scratches in the clearcoat, or they`re marring...at any rate, you can`t see them until the halogen light hits the paint from an angle. Is there anything I could do differently to get rid of all the fine marks?

Does anyone apply SG with a PC?

Any recommendations on different settings with the PC?

Any OTC polish products that anyone would advise to use to get better results?

Thanks for a great site and for everyone`s insight on detailing! :woohoo:

Dan

evolutionwc3
10-25-2007, 02:31 PM
what are you doing for a correction step (polish)? It wasn`t listed and if you are simply sealing and waxing the imperfections will remain in the cc.

DBQDan
10-25-2007, 02:37 PM
#3 & 4 to clean/polish paint with the white pads and Klasse AIO

BigJimZ28
10-25-2007, 02:42 PM
#3 & 4 to clean/polish paint with the white pads and Klasse AIO

AIO is a great chemical cleaner but it will not remove swirls

(some say it wil butl I think it it better to spend your time with a real polish)

OTC polishes Mother`s power polish is a good choice

along with the meg`s 8X`s

sQuashed
10-25-2007, 02:59 PM
AIO is a great chemical cleaner but it will not remove swirls

(some say it wil butl I think it it better to spend your time with a real polish)

Exactly... I love AIO for its cleaning properties.

Eliot Ness
10-25-2007, 03:04 PM
#3 & 4 to clean/polish paint with the white pads and Klasse AIOThat won`t really remove your defects (fine scratches). You`ll need to use an abrasive polish to get rid of stuff like that. The white pad might work OK, but depending on the depth of the scratches you might need to step up to an orange pad.

Lot`s of good polishes out there......below is a link to two lines that are pretty easy to use:

Danase Swirl Abolisher Package (http://www.danase.com/daswabpa.html)

Optimum Polish/Compound Package (http://store.danase.com/oppokit.html)

steelwind101
10-25-2007, 03:49 PM
Hi

Dont forget SG takes 12 hrs to cure, no waxing until then for best outcome.

Further more, no QD`s on SG either untils cured for best results.

So so many click and brags seem to have people applying sealants then nubas (it seems like in the same session) which in most cases is a no no.

Geoff

evolutionwc3
10-25-2007, 04:22 PM
Increase 1 step at a time- try an LC orange pad (as Eliot mentioned) with #3 first, then if the scratches still remain try a stronger polish. These "fine" scratches are probably the deepest in the cc and haven`t been cut enough to disappear.

Good Luck.

BigJimZ28
10-25-2007, 05:10 PM
2x on the Danase Swirl Abolishers

they are great here is a little review I did:

http://autopia.org/forum/danase/96491-swirl-abolishers-review.html

DBQDan
10-26-2007, 09:38 AM
WOW...this is awesome help!

Do you guys have any recommendations for a good OTC polish? I know O`Reilly sells various 3m products, and Meguiars. I`m limited to purchase something locally right now.

Thanks for the insight on the SG too, I wasn`t aware of the 12hr cure time.

Question - Would any of you apply the SG via PC? I`ve got some really nice soft LC red pads that I think would do a better job of even distribution, vs applying by hand.