PDA

View Full Version : How can i remove gum off leather?

Masta Z
10-24-2007, 05:08 PM
Sister kind of smushed some gum all over the leather seat of our new Mercedez GL550. It has the real leather and not the MB-tex. What is the easiest way to get it off? It`s basically embedded into the leather

imported_grease
10-24-2007, 06:06 PM
Few questions...

-How long has the gum been stuck to the leather? Is it still sticky, or almost dried hard?

-What kind of leather? I know that some of the newer MB`s are coming with uncoated full analine leather. Scratch the leather, does it get any lighter where you scratch? If yes, its uncoated.

-Where on the leather is the gum? Seams? Perforated section?

Either way, you`re gonna need to be careful with this. First, remove as much of the gum as you can by hand. I use toothpics to help with prying it off. Next I mix a strong solution of woolite/water and swab the leftover gum/leather with q-tips. Ill let that soak, then I get to removing the leftover gum again with toothpics and patience.

There may be other fasters ways, but just remember patience is your best friend with this.

Masta Z
10-24-2007, 06:53 PM
its hard by now, been on the seat for about 2 weeks. Happened while on a roadtrip to Canada :(

Not sure about the leather type, but is an -08 model.

The gum itself is on the actual seat, where ur butt goes

BlueLibby04
10-24-2007, 07:31 PM
I thought I was going to kill someone about three years ago. Someone thought it would be funny to stick some gum to the back of my notebook. I laid it in my seat and the gum got all over my leather.

I pulled as much as I could off then used a solution of water and joy. At the time I didnt know much about detailing but for some reason that worked great. I just worked it in with a cloth and it came out no problem. I followed that with a leather conditioner.

Carbon Blue
10-24-2007, 07:58 PM
Any of the above should work fine, depending on what the material is try holding an aerosol can upside down and spray the gum, this will freeze it and you could scrape it off with a credit card or something similar.

wannafbody
10-24-2007, 08:19 PM
I`d freeze it with an ice block and get a plastic knife and try to remove as much as possible

Scottwax
10-24-2007, 11:08 PM
I`d freeze it with an ice block and get a plastic knife and try to remove as much as possible

Exactly. After that, I use my Woolite/water mix and a nylon bristle scrub brush to remove the rest.

imported_grease
10-25-2007, 10:15 AM
Ice block? A dry ice chunk rubbed on the gum? This is a new idea to me, sounds promising tho!