PDA

View Full Version : Woohoo! Possible Metabo for me!!!

backdoc
10-24-2007, 11:58 AM
Big birthday coming up and have been eying the PE 12-175 for a while. Had a good few weeks at the office and had some left over cash and was going to order but wife told me to hold off.

Barring any unforeseen events or tantrums, what pads seem the best suited for Menzerna polishes. I have been using a PC with Lake Country and they were OK. I was thinking of going with the Edge dual sided with the adapter, has any one used these enough to make a recommendation? Others seem to go with the low profile LCC pads.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this will be my first experience with an orbital.

:buffing:

jshillin
10-24-2007, 12:04 PM
I`ve used both with great results. I prefer the edge 2k system on my rotary now because the pads are always centered and quick to change.

backdoc
10-24-2007, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the quick response! Can I use 6" or do I need the 8"? I feel more comfortable with the 6" as I used that size with the PC.

imported_themightytimmah
10-24-2007, 12:27 PM
I`m not a huge fan of the Edge foam pads, they center nicely but the foam quality is inferior to LC, IMHO. Their wool pads, on the other hand, are world-class. I would suggest getting a Green Edge wool (I use the single sided velcro backed ones) for correction, a white LC pad for polishing, and a black or blue LC pad for when you really want that perfect gloss (or when you leave holograms with the white pad).

Eliot Ness
10-24-2007, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the quick response! Can I use 6" or do I need the 8"? I feel more comfortable with the 6" as I used that size with the PC.I haven`t used the Edge system, but 6" pads work very well on a rotary. The Metabo is a sweet little rotary, nice and light, I`m sure you`ll enjoy it. Just take it slow at first and don`t make your wife`s car the first one you burn the paint on ;) .

gmblack3
10-24-2007, 01:21 PM
I`m not a huge fan of the Edge foam pads, they center nicely but the foam quality is inferior to LC, IMHO. Their wool pads, on the other hand, are world-class. I would suggest getting a Green Edge wool (I use the single sided velcro backed ones) for correction, a white LC pad for polishing, and a black or blue LC pad for when you really want that perfect gloss (or when you leave holograms with the white pad).

I agree! I use the DS sided edge wool pads with the adapter. Talk about smooth. Then I also use the CCS foam pads in white and will pick up a blue or two soon.

backdoc
10-24-2007, 01:28 PM
Thanks guys. Am I more apt to burn the paint (on wife`s car ofcourse) with the wool or foam pad (green)? Long time ago, 10 years, I had used an older Makita and everyone was using wool pads and it was very easy to burn the paint.

backdoc
10-26-2007, 10:22 AM
Come on now guys! I know the Flex is hot now but someone has to have more to offer on pad selection for the Metabo :think2

Thanks to all that have replied. Looking towards the Edge2K so far but some don`t like it with Menzerna, which is what I use.

Seems like it would be a PITA to go from E2K to LC CCS easily each time I switch from correction to final polish.

imported_themightytimmah
10-26-2007, 11:43 AM
Edge (and their private labels Presta and Automagic which you can usually get locally) make velcro-backed wool pads. Just ask for the single sided pad, it`s compatible with the same backing plate as the LC`s.

If I had to guess, the wool pads you used a while ago were probably cutting pads (black on Edge scale) - those are very easy to burn paint with. Try the green pad - IMHO it`s safer than an orange foam pad, finishes down as well or better, and cuts nearly twice as deep.

ChristR
10-30-2007, 04:57 PM
`I got my Metabo today. I gave it a quick spin on my hood with the Menzerna 106. Frickin\` awesome. The macine I used before was a Cyclo copy, I payed 60USD for it :P\r\n\r\nThe Metabo was a big difference. I even got a bag with it\r\nhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/Blablahore58/30102007130.jpg`

backdoc
10-31-2007, 10:28 AM
Awesome kit ChristR! Where did you get yours from and which backing plate is that, PM me if you prefer.