PDA

View Full Version : European vs. American waxes

Pages : [1] 2

imported_bigfoot
10-24-2007, 09:06 AM
I was looking at the different detailing websites around and noticed a huge price tag difference in prices for waxes. I know there`s an issue with the Euro vs. US Dollar, but even when showing dollar prices, it somewhat expensive. What makes the difference between these waxes aside of the cost? Is it durability? Level of depth and shine? What? I`m not trying to bash anything here, just want a comparison.

P.D. Please keep this respectful and avoid product throw downs. Thanks.

imported_weekendwarrior
10-24-2007, 09:13 AM
Any specific waxes you are looking at? I just ordered Souveran, and this is my first European wax. I am anxious to compare it to some to the ones I have used in the past.

imported_bigfoot
10-24-2007, 09:14 AM
Any specific waxes you are looking at? I just ordered Souveran, and this is my first European wax. I am anxious to compare it to some to the ones I have used in the past.

Well, I was making a comparison between Zymol and Swissvax, since it seems they`re the 2 major european waxes know. But if there`s more options out there, they can be shout as well. Just want to know...

Mikeyc
10-24-2007, 09:21 AM
Isn`t Souveran made in the U.S.A.? I know the company that owns the Pinnacle brand (PBMA, Inc) is located in Florida. Also, the Zymol offices are located in Connecticut. I believe the factory is also located there.

As far as the question of European products costing more than domestic products, not only is there the exchange rate issue but there is also the cost of transporting the goods from overseas.

imported_weekendwarrior
10-24-2007, 09:24 AM
"Isn`t Souveran made in the U.S.A.? I know the company that owns the Pinnacle brand (PBMA, Inc) is located in Florida. Also, the Zymol offices are located in Connecticut. I believe the factory is also located there."

Not sure, I was just assuming.

2KLS1
10-24-2007, 01:18 PM
Isn`t Souveran made in the U.S.A.?

I believe it is.

ALAN81
10-24-2007, 02:19 PM
Souvern is out of Florida

Old Pirate
10-24-2007, 02:26 PM
Would like to try some Dodo juice wax from the UK, but the price is a little high for me and then the shipping too................

imported_bigfoot
10-24-2007, 06:19 PM
As far as the question of European products costing more than domestic products, not only is there the exchange rate issue but there is also the cost of transporting the goods from overseas.

And I could not agree more here! But what about the prices for the people in the UK? Example: Swissvax Concorso is around $225.00 sterling pounds or euros(not sure) And they have it around the corner, so of speak. I would swallow it completely if it was around $300.00 USD, which I think is the current exchange, but why does it cost the same for them and for us?

And another thing is: is there any quality difference from european vs. american made waxes?

steelwind101
10-24-2007, 06:46 PM
Hi Guys

Approx:

£1 (Pounds-Sterling British Money) = $2 USD

€1 (EURO, EUR, EUROPEAN MONEY) - $1.42 USD

Great for British people shopping in the USA like me :woot: Love to buy houses in FL!!

Anyway, im sure the Pinnicle range is from the USA. I believe some British and Euro Zone LSPs are:

AutoGlym (SRP, UDS, EGP, Aqua Wax)

DODO Juice

SONAX

Menzerna (FMJ)

S100

P21s

Klasses

Carlack

Geoff

steelwind101
10-24-2007, 06:51 PM
Would like to try some Dodo juice wax from the UK, but the price is a little high for me and then the shipping too................

As i reviews in previous posts i tried 2 of the DODO juices and they are fair enough products. But i wouldent say they are worth (really double the price) they are going to cost you in the USA. Plenty of other nice products for less cash that will do the same job.

The real problem with UK is that things are expensive to export, so we dont!! Well except high quality (hehe) at high prices. Someone has to bank and insure!!

Geoff

3wide
10-25-2007, 12:00 PM
maybe someone should start a thread stating where certain brands/products are made. to be honest that is a deciding factor on what i buy. if i see a made in usa on the bottle i`m much more interested than if it didn`t. i cringe when i see made in china.:grrr

:usa

Bigpikle
10-25-2007, 12:50 PM
I honestly dont think the price is really based on anything other than economic factors. I can buy the same products in the US or UK and the price is usually simply the same with a different £ or $ in front of it. Eg Zaino Z2 $14.95 from the Zaino store and £14.95 in the UK, Zymol Glasur $101 or £95....so MOST things are simply twice the price over here. Things like Megs pads etc are all generally affected in the same way.

Some European made waxes eg Swissvax seem to keep the same `real` cost and the US prices are simply based on whatever the exchange rate makes them eg £UK x2. I guess Dodo is the same as its made in the UK. This means in their `home` markets they compete at the same price point as the likes of Zymol (in the case of Swissvax) so you would assume similar quality etc but in the US they become twice the price and its a very different value equation...

It`s one reason i love my regular trips to the US with my big luggage....

BlackElantraGT
10-25-2007, 01:25 PM
Besides the exchange rate, IMO they have a totally different set of consumers than we do here in the States, especially in the U.K. It`s the same reason why there are people that would pay Paul Dalton the prices he charge. There are detailers here in North America that are just as good, if not better than him, but it`s pretty safe to say none are making the money he does. If we had enough demand for expensive waxes, we`d probably have plenty of choices to pick from like in the U.K. But most of us still consider Zaino`s prices to be a bit on the high side, so I don`t see expensive waxes taking off here in the States any time soon. Souveran is probably the limit that most people here are willing to spend. Just my $.02

Mikeyc
10-25-2007, 02:34 PM
Anyway, im sure the Pinnicle range is from the USA. I believe some British and Euro Zone LSPs are:

AutoGlym (SRP, UDS, EGP, Aqua Wax)

DODO Juice

SONAX

Menzerna (FMJ)

S100

P21s

Klasses

Carlack

Geoff

Nope! Menzerna FMJ is made in the USA. It`s a product of Menzerna USA much like the wheel cleaner and car wash soap. You won`t find those products listed anywhere on the German Menzerna web page.