PDA

View Full Version : In need of some tips/advice/etc for a major job

05BlackS197
10-24-2007, 08:27 AM
Hello everyone,

I`m in need of some advice, suggestions, or tips on doing a major job. I have been offered a possible job in the spring detailing multiple exotic cars. Now I`ve been detailing for awhile, but I think I need to step up to the next level to work on those type of vehicles. That being said first off i`m looking into getting an orbital buffer because I`ve seen the results shown on this site and want to give that a go myself, any thoughts on getting started?

Second is there anything I need to know about detailing exotics? For example do I have to use certain products and not others, etc.

When I think of more, I`ll ask. :)

Any other thoughts or suggestions are welcome. I`m really excited about this, but am afraid at the same time. This is playing with the big boys now.

thanks in advance,

Mike

Setec Astronomy
10-24-2007, 08:31 AM
Are you saying that you have been detailing professionally for a while but you as of yet do not own any polishing machines? As far as what you need to know about exotics...they are exotic, if you mess up something it`s not going to be trivial...you need to know what you are doing, and you need insurance.

imported_weekendwarrior
10-24-2007, 08:32 AM
I guess my first question would be are you insured?

Secondly, if you are going to buy a buffer, I would practice on as many normal cars as I could between now and then. Not that you would damage a car with an orbital, but at least you can get a feel for what it can / can`t do before then.

imported_rydawg
10-24-2007, 08:39 AM
What machine were you using before?

Do you know how to use a rotary? I would suggest LOTS of experience with a rotary before touching an exotic.

Orbitals are nice but do have their limits on pushing gloss to their max. You can get nice results with orbital, it will take longer though.

Look at TH0001 posts. He is one of the biggest exotic detailer/posters on this site. He is the true master at perfecting exotics for Concours shows. Check out his click and brags and they will inspire you a lot and even teach you some things too.

Good luck!

05BlackS197
10-24-2007, 09:03 AM
Wait a sec. Sorry to lead you down the wrong path. I am not a pro. I`ve been doing my cars and I`ve done some jobs for people before with good results, but I`ve been doing it all by hand. I`ve been wanting to experiment with orbitals for a while, and this seems like the perfect time. I fully intend to practice on other cars before hand and want to learn as much as I can. If by I don`t feel I can do the job, I`m not gonna take it, but it`s one of those offers that you kinda NEED to look into at least considering because I`m sure it would be a very lucrative job. (Guy has 10 exotics!)

imported_weekendwarrior
10-24-2007, 09:07 AM
Again, the insurance issue would concern me. An accidental 1" scratch on an exotic = BIG $ to repair. Look at the thread posted by Scottwax (one of the best) where his pad fell apart on his orbital (UDM) while polishing the Lotus.

zzzzdoc
10-24-2007, 10:18 AM
And most exotic owners look for references from other exotic owners before we`ll let people touch our cars. The downside is too great for everyone involved.

Exotics have histories. Especially the really rare ones. Everyone will know if it`s been repainted or crashed. Word gets around fast. So the car becomes devalued if repainted = lawsuit.