PDA

View Full Version : Looking for "upgrades"

jnick
10-23-2007, 03:29 PM
I wanted to complete my first detail last weekend, however I was under extreme time constraints. Therefore, I didn`t have the time to order supplies online and wait for shipping. So I just visited my local AZ and picked up some basic detailing supplies. The supplies are listed below:

Megs GC Wash

Megs Quik Interior Detailer

Megs Deep Crystal polish

Stoners Invisible Glass

Stoners Mo Shine

Black Magic Wheel Shine

Mothers Clay Kit

Mothers Carnauba Wax

I went home, and went nuts on the exterior. Two days later the detail was complete. However, like I said, these are basic "low end" detailing supplies. Now that I don`t have the time constraint, I`d like to order some of the "good" stuff. however, I don`t know exactly what the good stuff is...I was thinking possibly some Zaino Products?

I will be picking up a UDM within the next few months, so I definitely want some good polishes for that. I`m also looking for good waxes/sealants to get me through the winter (NY winter!).

I was thinking of Z2, Z5, Z6, & Z8. I was possibly considering Z7 Wash, however, how does it compare to Megs GC Wash? How about Duragloss`s wash?

I`m also looking for interior supplies (quick detailers AND protectants) for fabric upholstery and vinyl dash/paneling.

Finally, the Mother`s Clay Kit did work out well. However, there came a point to where the clay (I only used half) just began to get mushy and disintegrate right in my hands after one care use. Therefore, I am open to suggestions of a good clay bar and lubricant.

Thank you!

BlackElantraGT
10-23-2007, 03:52 PM
I don`t know when exactly you`re planning on buying a UDM, but since you said within a few months and with Xmas coming up soon, I would consider waiting until then as I`m sure a lot of the vendors will have awesome deals going on. The Xmas deals are almost always better than any of the other deals throughout the year. If you have to have it right now at this moment, Autogeek.net has a 20% sale going on for their car care kits.

I can`t comment on the Zaino line as I am not familiar with it, but it gets a lot of praises. Their prices are my biggest issue and IIRC, I don`t remember them giving much of a discount during Xmas so if you have to buy Zaino, just get it now as I doubt you`ll see much of saving.

The duragloss wash is a really good car wash soap and for me, it`s worth the price premium over other soaps like NXT or GC, but if you bought a gal. of GC, just use that up first.

If you`re looking for a durable wax for winter, get some Collinite. This site sells it at a decent price and offers free shipping without having to order a bunch of products.

Collinite waxes from MacTec | car waxes, boat wax, and detailing supplies (http://www.mactecllc.com/collinite.asp)

There are plenty of good vendors to shop from. Read up a bit on this forum and you`ll get an idea of where to buy your products.

Hope the detailing bug doesn`t hit you too bad! Otherwise, be ready to have a lighter wallet. :)

jnick
10-23-2007, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the UDM. I planned on getting it after Xmas, however, if the deals are good, I may have to buy it a little early :p.

I didn`t buy a gallon of GC. I think I picked up only 64oz of it as I knew I would eventually be switching it out. However, I will most definitely use it up before I purchase a gallon of something else. It shouldn`t take long though :)

As for Collinite....it would be 845, right? Also, would I apply more than one coat? If so, do I need to let it cure for a certain amount of time before the "next" coat?

I think it may have hit me already...my wallet is already feeling a bit on the light side :p

3puttjay
10-23-2007, 04:32 PM
If you are used to using paste wax, then I suggest you use Collinite 476S. 845 is a liquid wax that is easy to use if applied in really,really, really thin coats. I have used both and recommend them both.

jnick
10-23-2007, 04:41 PM
Now with the mothers wax, the normal process is that I apply it, let it "dry" and then I remove the powder with a MF towel.

Is this how a liquid wax works as well? Or with a liquid wax, is it a matter of just working in the liquid until it`s transparent (meaning there is no "removing" of a powder or residue)?