PDA

View Full Version : Going to detail my first interior...any tips/suggestions/techniques?

jnick
10-21-2007, 09:29 PM
After finishing the exterior of my first ever detail, I will be doing the interior of my parents SUV this upcoming weekend.

The vehicle is a 2001 Santa Fe. The interior contains the following:

Vinyl dash and door panels

Basic carpeting

Fabric seating

Rubber trunk mat

So far I purchased Meg`s Quik Interior detailer and Folex. I also have a 4hp, 10 gallon wet-dry vacuum (Mfg: Shop-Vac). I also believe there is a LGM somewhere in the house. I`m not sure what model...but I do think we have one.

Now here`s what I though I`d do...

First, I`d remove the carpets and vacuum them with "The Shark" vacuum. Then I`d apply Folex, and let it sit for a few minutes. I`d then rub it in with my fingers and finally agitate it with a carpet brush. Finally, I`d power wash the removable carpets and dry them with the shop vac THEN the LGM (if I can find it).

Next, I`d wipe down all the vinyl with a damp wash cloth. Then I would clean with the Megs Quik Interior Detailer.

That`s about all I know...I`m not sure on how I would clean the seats and the non-removable carpets. Obviously I can`t power wash them. Would I ust use Folex, rub it in, the rinse with a damp towel, followed by dryign with the shop vac?

Also, my dad had a glue on "wood grain" dash kit installed. So around his shifter, dash, and door handles are the wood grain dash pieces. Is it safe to use Meg`s Interior Quik Detailer on that? If so, should I spray directly on the dash, or on the MF towel first?

I won`t be starting this until next weekend, so if you think I need other cleaners, concentrates, or reasonably priced tools - please let me know!

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you!

jnick
10-23-2007, 10:10 PM
Err...anyone have any suggestions?

mr.ikon
10-23-2007, 10:26 PM
I did some carpet mats with oil stains. Hit it with some APC/Water then hit it with folex and agitated it with fingers and washed it down with my hose. Vacuumed with shop vac and thats its. Didnt need any LGCM.

What type of fabic are the seats? Leather?

jnick
10-24-2007, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the info, buddy. The seats are like an imitation suede, not leather. If you`d like...I can snap a picture of them.

Also...APC = All Purpose Cleaner, right? Would this indicate pretty much any all purpose cleaner found in a HD or Lowes diluted with water?

Thanks!

Mark77
10-24-2007, 11:27 AM
Unlike many I like doing interiors more than exteriors. You need some APC, like Megs, and mix it 10:1 in a spraybottle. you can use it on everything almost. Use a damp cloth and some APC on the hard plastics like the dash and door panels. Take out the floor mats and hose them, spray APC, brush them and hose again, then use the wet vac to get most of the water and hang them up to dry. On the carpet, use APC and water and scrub with a brush and MF towel maybe, use the vac to dry. Use the QID on the hard plastics, and get some glass cleaner too.

A picture of the seats would help.

imported_Jakerooni
10-24-2007, 11:40 AM
Best tip I tell everyone looking to detail the interior....if it moves... Move it. I can`t tell you how many times I`ve had to yell at detailers for missing stuff simply because they didn`t move everything that could move. Cupholders Seats gloveboxes. Cubbies... Everything. get right down there in between the seats and everything. Air makes things alot easier as well.

Brian_Brice
10-24-2007, 11:49 AM
excellent advice jake, I might have to steal that from you "if it moves move it, then clean what you see again"

jnick
10-25-2007, 10:43 PM
A picture of the seats would help.

Thanks for the information, guys! Two pictures are attached below...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/jnick1/seats.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/jnick1/IMG_0312.jpg

jnick
10-28-2007, 05:28 PM
Would you say that those are cloth? Or something different? Just so I know for future reference :)

Cleaning Fool
10-28-2007, 07:04 PM
I would vacuum the seats (important). Spray on Folex/APC whatever you use and let it dwell on there 15-20 minuts. Agitate the seats with a soft brush. Grab a towel, soak it in hot water and ring it out. Start wiping down the seats. Follow behind the rung out towell with a dry towel to remove as much moisture as possible. If you have a fan in the house, hook up an extension cord and put it on the interior as best you can to get it dry as fast as possible. Those seats look like common nylon/polyester