PDA

View Full Version : Rejuvenating PaintGuard

RonnieB
10-21-2007, 07:57 PM
Has anyone had to rejuvenate their finish with paintguard on it? I made the mistake of using a "quick spray" made up with dish washing detergent and it looks like it took the gloss out of the paint and left me with swirl / abrasions. I used soft cloths and microfiber, but think that the mix was wrong. What should I use to get the "black mirror gloss look" back? Any product or technique suggestions? I have a `07 Mustang GT vert, black glossy finish.

Thanks for the advice.

BigJimZ28
10-21-2007, 09:27 PM
OK I will bite.....what is paintguard?

I am guessing it is a sealant that you payed the dealer way to much to put on

regardless of what it is you will need to polish to remove the swirl / abrasions

start with the how to on the top of the page

SpoiledMan
10-21-2007, 09:27 PM
Are you talking Ultima Paint Guard?

SuperBee364
10-22-2007, 03:48 PM
Are you talking Ultima Paint Guard?

Given the fact that he made a QD out of dish soap and water, I think it`s highly unlikely he`s bought and/or applied any boutique detailing products. No offense intended at all, it`s just an implied lack of knowledge about car care from the OP`s post.

You probably swirled/marred the paint because you applied your dish soap/water combination on paint that wasn`t already *completely* clean of contaminants. Also using anything other than a micro fiber towel could also cause swirling.

The other cause of your gloss loss is most likely the dish soap itself. It shouldn`t be used as a quick detailer. Quick detailer is available at most all car parts stores and is very cheap. Save the dish soap for the dishes; buy yourself a bottle of real quick detailer and use it. :)

The swirling can only be fixed by an experienced detailer using abrasive polishes and a polishing machine.

RonnieB
10-22-2007, 09:56 PM
`Thanks for the insight. I bought the car with PaintGuard already on it. As far as buying boutique detailing products, my garage is full of them - everything from MG quick detailer which I always use between shows, CA duster for inbetweens and numerous others. I usually use that quick wash for the windows only, but thought ( or didn\`t) I would do a quick hit. Learned my lesson. Dealer will clay, buff it and reapply PaintGuard for a minimum price. Guess I learned my lesson. No more quick hits for me. I will take the time and do it right.\r\nThanks again.`