PDA

View Full Version : Polishing `two-pack` paint

Alfisti
10-19-2007, 07:30 AM
Does anyone have experience polishing `two-pack` paint. I don`t know if that`s what`s its called in the US or something else.

It`s suppose to be a harder finish. Is it harder to polish? Anything I need to know?

the other pc
10-19-2007, 11:12 AM
`two-pack` paint? Isn`t he a rapper? :D

PC.

Alfisti
10-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Stupid! :D

the other pc
10-19-2007, 11:39 AM
But seriously folks,...

It just means a paint that comes as two separate chemicals and hardens when mixed together.

We Yanks would call it a two-part paint but you don’t hear the term used much anymore in automotive paints because, over here, practically all car painting is done with two-parts these days.

All factory paints are two-part systems these days, at least for top coats. So if you’ve buffed a new car within the last ten or twenty years or so, you’ve buffed two-pack paint. Pretty much the entire re-spray industry has converted to catalyzed urethanes too, at least in the US, UK and Europe.

In SoCal it’s illegal to even sell or shoot solvent-evaporation cured auto paints.

Catalyzed coatings tend to be significantly tougher and harder than solvent-evaporation cured finishes. When they were first introduced everybody had to get used to them. Now they’re the norm and we think of old lacquers and non-catalyzed enamels as soft.

PC.

Alfisti
10-19-2007, 11:53 AM
Hmm..thanks for your input PC.

I have a feeling that here in Oz we still use solvent-evaporation cured auto paints as the norm. Not sure. Might have to make a couple of phone-calls.

But regardless, since factory paint is two-pack, then I know what to do!

Thanks again. :bigups