PDA

View Full Version : Rough spot on my new car`s trunk

gunmetalgrey
10-18-2007, 04:27 PM
Apologies if this double-posts; I tried to post this several days ago.

Bought a brand new car last week, and I want to keep it looking gorgeous. My dealer threw in PermaPlate for free as a sweetener, and when I picked up the car from their detailer, I have to say it was noticeably glossier than the other showroom cars.

A day or two later, I opened the trunk and noticed a rough texture on the back trunk lid, and my fingers left trails of fine black dust behind. Colored wax residue, maybe? I got out a clean cotton diaper-type towel, and gently cleaned it off. I found that there was dark residue around the chrome logo and lettering on the trunk, too. I got in there carefully with the towel, and buffed it out then wiped away the dust. So far, I`m thinking the detailer forgot to buff the residue off on the trunk.

Here`s the problem: there`s a rough patch on the back of the trunk under the logo that doesn`t smooth out with buffing. It`s shiny, but the surface is rough. The rest of the car is smooth and glassy to the touch.

When I look at the spot in the light, it`s shiny and pretty -- it`s just rough to the touch. If I can fix this myself, I`d like to. I have numerous small problems with the dealership, and I don`t want to get back on the merry-go-round if I don`t have to.

I just bought a bottle of Maguire`s QD per the reviews on this site, and some microfiber towels. I gave it a try, but it didn`t smooth out the rough spot. Is the rough patch likely to be dried wax or polish? How can I make it smooth and glassy like the rest of the car?

Most important, did the detailer screw up my paint? Should I be complaining?

Thanks for your help!

GMG

Setec Astronomy
10-18-2007, 07:30 PM
That black dust is probably just tire/brake dust from the road, depending on the aerodynamics of your car that stuff can fall out of the airstream at the back of the car. As far as the rough spot, from your description, I`m not sure a picture would help. You can try some mild polish or paint cleaner (since you have bought some OTC Meg`s stuff, that could be Deep Crystal #1 or ScratchX) or some clay and see if that smoothes things out.

RANDAL
10-18-2007, 07:34 PM
Clean the area with alcohol wipe down, clay bar, and polish followed by sealant and or wax. Others will come in and the probably have better ways to help you. RANDAL

gunmetalgrey
10-19-2007, 10:17 AM
Any other opinions, please?

BigJimZ28
10-19-2007, 10:29 AM
Any other opinions, please?

I would also start with clay

then a polish