PDA

View Full Version : Help, my car stinks! Odor coming from vents...

usracer900
10-18-2007, 12:34 PM
Just bought a 99 4Runner, 140K miles. It has an odd smell when I turn on the fan for the heat/AC. I`ve read that it can be mold in the system and produce a musty smell but this smells a little different. It`s not terrible but not pleasing either. It seems to be worse when I choose to vent fresh air and AC is off. When I turn on the AC and put to recirculate the smell seems to go away(some). Heat seems to smell bad as well.

I`ve read that some A/C systems can smell funny but this is a little different. Any ideas how to cure this? Should I seek the help of a professional detailer and use one of those "ozone" treatments?

Your help is really appreciated!

BuffMe
10-18-2007, 12:37 PM
1Z Einszett Klima-Cleaner Air Conditioner Treatment (http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einszett-klima-cleaner-air-freshener.html)

That should do the trick.

ptaylor_9849
10-18-2007, 12:37 PM
Change your cabin air filter and spray lysol directly into the vents. You need to kill the bacteria that has collected in the system.

imported_Yal
10-18-2007, 01:47 PM
Also look in the engine bay, near the windshield bottom seal you should see the fresh air intake for the system. Turn on the fan to high and spray Lysol (or equivalent) into the intake and let it get sucked into the cabin.

brwill2005
10-18-2007, 04:18 PM
Yes, an ozone treatment would be the most effective, however, you could also try an odor bomb or fogger.

Paulie Walnuts
10-18-2007, 05:03 PM
Ifl..............

imported_grease
10-18-2007, 05:17 PM
Im curious to try 1Z`s A/C cleaner, as all their products Ive used have performed well. But for now Ill keep using Lysol.

usracer900, there are a few ways to effectively clean and keep away that awful smell.

- When you spray the lysol (or whichever product you use) into the air ducts at the base of the windshield, make sure the A/C system is ON and in the mode that brings in fresh air from the outside. This will ensure the Lysol circulates through the system. I normally perform this treatment when I get home from work and the car is allready on. It will involve a little idling.

- Turn your A/C off a few minutes before you turn your car off. But keep the circulation on. This will inhibit mold/mildew build-up in the future.