PDA

View Full Version : Clay Bar...professional detailing

Jonny
10-18-2007, 01:23 AM
I am looking to get my 1 and a half year old Lexus detailed professionally. One place I went to said that my car did not need to be clay barred because it was not in bad shape and only needs to compound it but then another place I went to said that it has to be clay barred to properly prep the car and only a little compound to take out a couple of scratches. My question is can you properly detail a car without clay barring it during the process? Should I stay away from the place that did not want to do it eventhough the place was recommended?

Also, can anyone in the New York Metro area recommend a good place to get a full detailing?

Thanks

stiffdogg06
10-18-2007, 01:29 AM
Get a baggie, or even just your bare hand if you don`t care. Slid it across your paint and if it feels gritty/rough, then get it clay barred. If it`s smooth throughout the car, don`t bother. But I am about 99.9999% sure you will prolly need to get it clayed.

Sometimes if the car isn`t clay bars, it can affect the bonding of sealants, if that is what will be used.

Find A Detailer - Detail University - Automotive Detailing Community (http://www.detailuniversity.com/find-a-detailer/)

I think they have 2-3 listed detailers in the New York area. Maybe you can PM one of them and ask for a good detailer in your area.

- Andrew

the other pc
10-18-2007, 05:32 PM
...One place I went to said that my car did not need to be clay barred because it was not in bad shape and only needs to compound it ...That sounds totally bass-ackwards. Mind you, without seeing your paint first hand I can’t say for certain they’re wrong.

I suppose it’s possible, if the car was kept inside its entire life and had cardboard boxes dragged across it while sitting there.

But realistically, any car that’s spent more than a few days outside can benefit from clay. And unless your finish has been abused somehow (which is entirely possible) a one and a half year old car shouldn’t need compounding.

...then another place I went to said that it has to be clay barred to properly prep the car and only a little compound to take out a couple of scratches. ...That sounds like a more reasonable scenario, light compound as needed for specific scratches and maybe a lighter polish for the overall finish. Again, it depends entirely on the paint itself.

... clay barring it during the process? Should I stay away from the place that did not want to do it ...?...I would.

PC.

Jonny
10-18-2007, 05:38 PM
Thanks, I checked it out and it definitely needs to be clay barred.

There are 2 places in New York State on that site, both mobile places, one that is near me but how can I ask them for a good place. They will tell me they are the best. How can I check out if a place is good that I have the name of? Don`t want to go to a place that is not good and have problems.

Have two names:

1) Big A Detailing in Whitestone, NY

2) NY Car Spa in New York, NY

Also, after getting it detailed, what would you recommend for proper maintance of the car after that. (Ex. Clay barring, Waxing).

Thanks,

Jon

Bert
10-18-2007, 05:47 PM
Thanks, I checked it out and it definitely needs to be clay barred.

I have heard of some unscrupulous detailers who cut corners by skipping claying. I think most of the experienced Autopian detailers on here would say 95 - 99% of all cars that need polishing need claying.

David Fermani
10-18-2007, 07:54 PM
I can`t remember the last vehicle I came across that didn`t benefit from claying.

imageautodetail
10-18-2007, 08:53 PM
That sounds totally bass-ackwards. Mind you, without seeing your paint first hand I can’t say for certain they’re wrong.

I suppose it’s possible, if the car was kept inside its entire life and had cardboard boxes dragged across it while sitting there.

But realistically, any car that’s spent more than a few days outside can benefit from clay. And unless your finish has been abused somehow (which is entirely possible) a one and a half year old car shouldn’t need compounding.

That sounds like a more reasonable scenario, light compound as needed for specific scratches and maybe a lighter polish for the overall finish. Again, it depends entirely on the paint itself.

I would.

PC.That is exactly what thought came to mind, but one time I had a cut on my hand and went to the ER to get it looked at, the first doctor looked at it and said it needed a few stitches and he would send someone in to do it, when the second doctor came in, he looked at it and said that I do not need stitches, but will need to amputate my arm.

imageautodetail
10-18-2007, 08:55 PM
I have heard of some unscrupulous detailers who cut corners by skipping claying. I think most of the experienced Autopian detailers on here would say 95 - 99% of all cars that need polishing need claying.

Plus claying a car makes polishing easier, less work for the polish

Jek Hawkins
10-18-2007, 09:25 PM

even as a newcomer i would have to agree; there`s virtually no disadvantage to claying unless ur claying too often (once every few days, haha), and the results even on new cars are astounding

had a friend who got a Mazda3 hatch brand-new from the dealer, he clayed it about a few weeks later and didn`t tell me, i called it on him, haha

my car`s not new, but clay did wonders for me too, so CLAY CLAY CLAY CLAY CLAY

major step in detailing!

SuperBee364
10-18-2007, 10:35 PM
Personally, I wouldn`t go to the place that said you didn`t need to clay. Kinda makes you wonder what else they don`t "think" you need...

imported_Picus
10-18-2007, 11:07 PM
I can`t remember the last vehicle I came across that didn`t benefit from claying.

I have to agree.

Jonny
10-18-2007, 11:58 PM
So anyone know how to check out one of these operations?

Bert
10-18-2007, 11:59 PM
but one time I had a cut on my hand and went to the ER to get it looked at, the first doctor looked at it and said it needed a few stitches and he would send someone in to do it, when the second doctor came in, he looked at it and said that I do not need stitches, but will need to amputate my arm.

Please tell me this was not in Louisville! If so, please reply with which hospital so I can avoid it.

SuperBee364
10-19-2007, 12:02 AM
So anyone know how to check out one of these operations?

Try to get some references from them. Find out who uses them and if they`re happy with the work they`ve done. When possible, try to see a vehicle or two that they have done.

You might also want to try finding a reputable Autopian in your area.

Showroom Shine
11-14-2007, 09:16 AM
I agree with most of the people here. If a place calls themselves a detail shop, and don`t clay a vehicle first I would not use their services. Claying prepares the surface for any other processes that may be needed. It also removes any contaminates that are on the surface not visible to the naked eye. I think claying is the first step after washing in a Real Detailers aresnal! :drool:

Richard