PDA

View Full Version : Lighting

Ralliart16
10-16-2007, 06:33 PM
I don`t really detail enough to warrant a $300 Sun gun, but I was looking at home depot / sears etc at the halogen lighting. They all seem to carry the same stuff - 500 W, 1000 W, 1200 W.. etc

The price difference is minor, but I`m wondering just how bright each is. I`m just looking to light the side of the car in my garage - not half the neighborhood. What do people on here typically use? I don`t want the additional heat and size of the large lamps if not necessary!

thanks

todd@bsaw
10-16-2007, 07:58 PM
One of these will be good enough for almost anybody:

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ZGYSTKXFL._AA280_.jpg

1000w is plenty, just move the tripod around the car as you work.

MattPersman
10-16-2007, 08:19 PM
I thought I did a good job on our black VW (outside in my driveway) till I held one of my fluorescent work lights by the panels inside the garage and shazam all these defects show right up. I was at Lowes at lunchtime to buy some lights to mount on my ceiling of the garage but the budget/low priced ones were sold out. now to get some lights mounted and do more correction. :buffing:

but in short fluorescent lighting really showed it on my inspected car. :wall

todd@bsaw
10-16-2007, 09:43 PM
Florescent and halogen give off two completely different light sources. The first is best for seeing defects (especially on black) and the latter on swirls and holograms.

Instead of loading your garage up with lights (which is always an option lol ), you can use one halogen work light and use it to inspect your work as you move around the car.

imageautodetail
10-16-2007, 10:27 PM
HALOGEN SHOP LIGHT SINGLE HEAD - (eBay item 290170621257 end time Oct-16-07 21:30:11 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/HALOGEN-SHOP-LIGHT-SINGLE-HEAD_W0QQitemZ290170621257QQihZ019QQcategoryZ58144 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

These are nice too if you need to keep moving it around

stiffdogg06
10-16-2007, 10:32 PM
I use those ^^^

I got mine at wal-mart for 9 bucks.

They have the dual ones with a tripod for like $30.

Mikeyc
10-16-2007, 11:05 PM
Lighting is really important. I have a set of halogen stand lights, but I also have a Brinkmann Dual Xenon spotlight which I use to check panels as well. The type of light it puts off is great for seeing defects. However, as it`s a hand held light it`s not suitable for illuminating a work space.

SVR
10-17-2007, 02:24 AM
lighting is very important

Halogens I find are great at seeing holograms, swirls and deep scratches

Sunlight doesn`t show scratches but really shows up holograms and swirls

And the sodium vapours on the ceiling of my workshop show everything and I value them so much when I do roof, hood and trunk with the rotary

AppliedColors
10-17-2007, 12:36 PM
Lighting is really important. I have a set of halogen stand lights, but I also have a Brinkmann Dual Xenon spotlight which I use to check panels as well. The type of light it puts off is great for seeing defects. However, as it`s a hand held light it`s not suitable for illuminating a work space.

I second the Brinkmann handheld. It`s also superb for use on interiors (checking vents, cup holders, radio, map pockets, etc.). Long battery life too.

Ticman2
10-17-2007, 12:42 PM
I second the Brinkmann handheld. It`s also superb for use on interiors (checking vents, cup holders, radio, map pockets, etc.). Long battery life too.

+3 on the Brinkmann Dual Xenon. I have the 1000 halogens but use the Brinkmann quite often.

Tic

mr.ikon
10-17-2007, 01:21 PM
Doesnt the Brinkmann come with a charger? Man, there are just so many uses other than paint.

SVTsupremecy
10-17-2007, 01:22 PM
i bought Commercial Electric 1200 or 1400 watt halogens like the ones Todd showed...they work very well. showed every defect i cared to know about.

BlackElantraGT
10-17-2007, 04:27 PM
I bought a tripod 1000w light set from a local hardware store last year. I originally bought it for detailing, but man this thing has come in handy so many times. It seems like it`s always on loan to one of the neighbors for one reason or another. 1000w is plenty powerful. It freaking blinds drivers that drive by at night if I`m not careful with how I`m pointing it. They get really hot though so after every use, I make sure to let it cool down outside. I remember seeing a thread where some guy`s garage caught fire because of of of these tripod lights.

For $30, I got the 1000w tripod light, a fluorescent light, and one of those incandescent clip-on lights.