PDA

View Full Version : OHC and splatter/sling: How much to prime with?

amtrak23
10-16-2007, 02:19 PM
I`m getting this stuff everywhere! I have tried laying down a thin 6" line on the car and dabbing it around, I have tried pea sized drops, etc. No matter how slow I start off with the Makita I get crazy sling. What is the trick? I`m using an edge orange wool pad.

danponjican
10-16-2007, 02:46 PM
Tilt up the pad about 5 - 10 degrees as you approach the line of product. I usually pump the trigger just enough so that the pad is spinning. Slower is better when you are spreading the product. Have you ever watched the videos from that Megiuar`s Garage seminar? They show this technique among other very useful tips with rotaries.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. (http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=E1309948831E74DF)

sneek
10-16-2007, 04:01 PM
I am not sure how much I tilt it, but I just lay a 8 to 12 inch bead of product after spurring the pad and giving it a shot of detail spray. Hit the trigger half way, don`t make contact with the finish just yet tilt the polisher, and as you are just about to hit the product pull in the trigger all the way sweeping up the line of product and then getting the pad as flat as soon as you are past the bead.