PDA

View Full Version : carpet dirt

jdubb12
10-16-2007, 10:09 AM
how do you guys get al the dirt out of the carpet it seems know matter how much i vacuum i cant get it all do you shampoo the whole carpet or do you use some sort of brush to scrub deep, what shampoo can you use for the entire carpet?

imageautodetail
10-16-2007, 10:55 AM
take it to a detailer

jdubb12
10-16-2007, 11:25 AM
im trying to learn how to do it myself

BuffMe
10-16-2007, 11:36 AM
take it to a detailer

Sounds like you`re a great addition to this forum :down

A lot of people like Tuff Stuff which you can get at your local parts place. Just spray it on the carpet, use a brush to rub it in really well, let it sit for about 5 minutes, take a damp rag and rub it to soak up the dirt, use a dry rag to get most of the remaining wetness out, then vacuum back to fluffy.

woodenshoes
10-16-2007, 01:03 PM

Playing devils advocate the OP could have used the search function before asking such a broad question. However..... I agree that imagedetail added nothing with his response and should have cut the new member some slack.

P.S. Hey jdubb12, I`m no vet around here, but welcome to Autopia:welcome

brwill2005
10-16-2007, 02:27 PM
take it to a detailer

I believe the point he was trying to make is this; sometimes the expertise and equipment that a professional has is necessary to accomplish certain tasks. In the case of very soiled carpets and upholstery, a powerful vacuum and hot water extractor is necessary. You can scrub all you want with brushes and cleaners, but the much of the dirt will remain in the carpet fibers. The action of an extractor will rinse and remove the soil more effectively.

David Fermani
10-16-2007, 02:39 PM
1 thing that alot of people skip is dry brushing & vaccuming prior to pre-soaking, shampooing and/or extracting. It breaks up the soiling and lifts the dirt, which makes the cleaning step easier and more effective. If you don`t know what type of stain you`re cleaning, the wrong cleaner/process could set your stain and makes things almost impossible to correct.

Big Leegr
10-16-2007, 02:55 PM

"Nother devil`s advocate thought-He`s a detailer. Maybe it was a "tongue-in-cheek" sort of sarcasm. You know- a joke, as it were. ;)

As to the question, David F. pretty much hit it. A good beater bar is pretty much mandatory for carpets in buildings, but if you aren`t likely to have one on your hand held or shop vac for the car, brushing (or even thumping the carpet a bit :D ) will help loosen the dirt lodged in the fibers so the vacuum can such the dirt up easier.

BuffMe
10-16-2007, 03:18 PM
I believe the point he was trying to make is this; sometimes the expertise and equipment that a professional has is necessary to accomplish certain tasks. In the case of very soiled carpets and upholstery, a powerful vacuum and hot water extractor is necessary. You can scrub all you want with brushes and cleaners, but the much of the dirt will remain in the carpet fibers. The action of an extractor will rinse and remove the soil more effectively.

Well I think it`s quite obvious that you don`t make that point by such a succint statement. It`s understandable that certain jobs take professionals. However, we have no idea how much or little dirt this guy has in his carpet. Regardless of how much or little, he wants to try it himself. He didn`t ask who he should take it to. It very well may have been a joke and I`m not trying to question his character or anything at all, I was just simply stating that it was a blatant lack of help. I joke all the time, but with a new person to the forum asking questions, it`s not exactly the right time to do so as these initial posts are the ones that determine whether they come back or not. Regardless, I made a simple statement and it`s being made out to be much more than it was ever intended. No need to further it.

Badmittn
10-16-2007, 05:04 PM
Use dog shampoo and a firm brush, It will get the stain and any odor.

brwill2005
10-16-2007, 05:07 PM
Not sure what point you are trying to make. I was stating a fact with the statement I made. It sounds as if the guy has lots of embedded dirt etc in his carpet. In that case, the best solution is a powerful vacuum and a carpet extractor. Spraying a cleaner, scrubbing, and vacuuming is not going to rinse out the embedded grit.

jdubb12
10-16-2007, 05:11 PM
thanks for the info i will try just using a dry carpet brush first. its not stained just trying to get all the dirt out.

imageautodetail
10-16-2007, 06:24 PM

Yes it was...

Just FYI I posted this 3 days ago

http://autopia.org/forum/click-brag/98189-my-process-carpet-cleaning.html

imageautodetail
10-16-2007, 10:47 PM

A lot of people like Tuff Stuff which you can get at your local parts place. Just spray it on the carpet, use a brush to rub it in really well, let it sit for about 5 minutes, take a damp rag and rub it to soak up the dirt, use a dry rag to get most of the remaining wetness out, then vacuum back to fluffy.

And not to kick a dead horse, but the question sounded to me that he was in need of seen on sight information, with out pix whos to say. I was not trying to to be degrading at the least, and apologize if that was the way it came across, which I can see if you have not read any of my other posts or threads.

Badmittn
11-08-2007, 04:18 PM
If its just dirt you are correct in choosing a stiff brush to loosen it up and a dry vac to pick up the pieces.