PDA

View Full Version : Lexol leather conditioner...

Pages : [1] 2

wannafbody
10-15-2007, 04:12 PM
I picked a bottle of the original liquid formula recently. I tried it on some fairly stiff leather auto seats. Surprisingly it softens leather quite well. It does leave a bit of an oily feel. I`m not really fond of the smell but it isn`t offensive either. If you want a glossier look or leather smell simply top it with your favorite leather conditioner.

Junebug
10-15-2007, 06:26 PM
I guess I`m in the minority but I like all of Lexol`s products. They`re fairly cheap, available locally and they work really well in my opinion.

Harry Houdini
10-15-2007, 08:21 PM
you sure are.

I quit using those cheap once "including leatherque stuff"

Leather Master is the safest most luxurious leather care money can buy

and it is water based an in no way will harm the leather.

anyone who knows leather will tell you get water based products.

anyhow, top of the line sells the product but I bought it directly from leather master,

the auto package comes with 2 bottles and sponge and a towel.

1 of the bottle is an alcohol based cleaner! yes alcohol that cleans the leather from

everything on it, and the second one is conditioner and protector.

expensive but you will know when it wares out and you only need 3 applications per year!

wfedwar
10-15-2007, 08:49 PM
Lexol is good stuff. It`s not solvent-based as the previous post implies. It`s not glossy because it does not contain silicones. I don`t know why you`d think you were in the minority to like it.

mr.ikon
10-15-2007, 11:31 PM
I love Lexol conditioner. And i dont think its oily at all.

Harry Houdini
10-16-2007, 06:11 AM
Lexol is good stuff. It`s not solvent-based as the previous post implies. It`s not glossy because it does not contain silicones. I don`t know why you`d think you were in the minority to like it.

I am sorry but lexol is better than nothing if you really want to know.

Bunky
10-16-2007, 06:24 AM
I am sorry but lexol is better than nothing if you really want to know.

I see the postings stating that most car leather these days is top coated (apparently urethane paint) leather so traditional leather conditioners should not be used and of course most cars (those under 50k) with leather sets only have leather in the seating area (leather trimmed seats) so those that use a conditioner elsewhere are applying it to vinyl.

However, most of the recent leather conditioners (like Lexol) aimed for the car market seem to be synthetic (not natural mink oil or whatever, etc) and more akin to a lotion rather than an oil. I asked Lexol directly and they said that a conditioner will not harm top coated leather and as it ages it can benefit from a conditioner since it is not like paint on a car surface. Of course, they have an interest in stating this.

The part I find interesting is that if applying a conditioner on top coated leather is a waste of time I wonder why so many people who do claim it softens the leather, etc. Most do not claim it leaves them greasy. I still think something is missing in this technical debate.

Junebug
10-16-2007, 08:32 AM
Gee Harry, looks like you be in the minority - at least on this thread. So, you use what you like and I`ll use what works for me. I tried Lexol after reading a review about them over on Properautocare, I know those guys like AG have a way of making everything sound wonderful, but the Lexol piece made sense so I tried it.

IanB
10-16-2007, 10:26 AM
Although I haven`t tried the `higher` end leather products, the ph balenced cleaner and the conditioner work great on my entirely leather seats in my audi. I apply about 1 time a month (because I have Amaretto seats, the need cleaning often!) The lexol is never greasy, it just needs to soak into the leather a bit. I apply the cleaner, remove the cleaner then apply the conditioner and work it into the seat for about 1 minute. Then move onto the next seat without `buffing` it off. The conditioner product left behind, that is sitting on top will evaporate or it gets absorbed into the leather creating a nice matte finish. I really like it and most people who come into the car feel as if my car is brand new, and smells like `new leather` I don`t agree with them entirely because I think it just smells faintly of lexol conditioner but they seam to find it pleasing.

Also, I get stains, scuffs, and marks (even pen marks) on my seats and rubbing in the lexol cleaner with a mf towel really lifts the stain away and leaves behind nothing but clean fresh leather.

I have the 1k leather option (Milano I think?) in the audi (which comes standard with leather trim seating) if anyone has any information stating that is not a `full` leather option, let me know.

IB

Harry Houdini
10-16-2007, 06:51 PM
I see the postings stating that most car leather these days is top coated (apparently urethane paint) leather so traditional leather conditioners should not be used and of course most cars (those under 50k) with leather sets only have leather in the seating area (leather trimmed seats) so those that use a conditioner elsewhere are applying it to vinyl.

However, most of the recent leather conditioners (like Lexol) aimed for the car market seem to be synthetic (not natural mink oil or whatever, etc) and more akin to a lotion rather than an oil. I asked Lexol directly and they said that a conditioner will not harm top coated leather and as it ages it can benefit from a conditioner since it is not like paint on a car surface. Of course, they have an interest in stating this.

The part I find interesting is that if applying a conditioner on top coated leather is a waste of time I wonder why so many people who do claim it softens the leather, etc. Most do not claim it leaves them greasy. I still think something is missing in this technical debate.

Here is our difference in bold.

your leathers are coated mine is not, it is Aniline leather "UnCotated" in my GT coupe, therefor I went

with the higher end product that is manufactured in a district full of leather crafter and

as you know, Italians do make the best leather products in the world.

Junebug,

I like being in the minority, whatever works for you, it is just a forum and the spirit of

it is to discuss our differences, do you care to toss away 80 bucks or 50 for 2 small

bottles of leather product? I think you would say no, but it is better than your lexol. :)

Bunky
10-16-2007, 07:41 PM
I think we are in agreement about water based seemed to be product to use. Leather Master recommends the same products for top coated and aniline leather -- the cleaner and protection cream. The cream description is:

Leather Protection Cream is a water based protector for all leather types except Nubuck. ...Unlike leather "conditioners", this cream will NOT make your leather shiny, sticky, or leave any type of film on the surface. ... It`s natural oils, acrylic resins, and polymers protect the surface from stains and keep the hide supple.

LeatherMaster is water based yet has oils. I am just not sure what Lexol is. Lexol says it is an aqueous solution (water based) with oils too.

IanB
10-17-2007, 08:13 AM
Sounds like they know what there talking about to me??

Leather Cleaning & Conditioning
Explained in this Factory Tour (http://www.properautocare.com/leclcoex.html)

Interview at the bottom was extremely informative.

Junebug
10-17-2007, 12:13 PM
Harry, I checked TOL and to get a liter of cleaner and protector - yeah, 80 bucks plus shipping. Is it that much better? I`d have to say I doubt it, and you`re on the money when you said I would not spend the extra for it. With the success I`ve had with Lexol and the cars I detail - it`s not cost effective for me, I tend to get "frugal" customers. While I was at TOL - I ordered up a bunch of Hi-temp stuff, I`m frugal too.

BuffMe
10-17-2007, 12:41 PM
Does anyone use a soft bristle brush on their leather? I hear mostly just people using MF`s to clean.

KnuckleBuckett
10-18-2007, 04:34 PM
Tried Lexol versus the Lexus provided conditioner. I found that the Lexol seemed to harden the leather. I would never use it again. My full bottles went to a buddy that wanted it.