PDA

View Full Version : anyone use finance software?

nmxdaven
10-14-2007, 11:20 AM
I`m looking for a Christmas present for my father, and I was thinking about getting him some type of money managing software (Microsoft money, quicken...) and some training books for it. He has managed the family finance and his business finance by hand for the past 20 years, and its VERY "oldschool" if you get my drift. But after the growth of his business it seems to take up a majority of his time, and he refuses to hire someone to manage it for him. (He really just trusts himself)

The main issue is it needs to be able to manage some pretty big numbers. We have 5 family checking accounts at around 1m total that he maintains from deposits from his business accounts, our family credit cards, usually around 10k a month total, and his business checking and savings. (Have no idea about the number or amount in those, but I would guess its up there)

Does anyone know how well these programs would work for this? I use Microsoft money for my personal accounts, but as a 21 yo graduate student my accounts are a tad bit smaller than his. :nervous: I just want to make sure something like this would even be valid for his application.

Thanks!

imported_themightytimmah
10-14-2007, 11:32 AM
My Aunt runs her laundromat on Quicken Home and Business 2007, and it`s been pretty successful for her. The hands down effective feature is the online integration - it logs in for her, and downloads transaction and balance info for her bank accounts. It saves *tons* of time over putting everything in by hand.

We even taught my Grandma how to use it, for when my aunt`s on vacation.

P.S. How`d you make it to grad school at 21? I`m two weeks away from my 21st, and I`m a sop````re.

nmxdaven
10-14-2007, 11:40 AM
Ok thats a plus then. Hes not the best with computers. Honestly anything would be better than how hes doing it now.

By taking course loads never before attempted by man. :P My family came to the conclusion`s that as long as I`m taking as many courses as I can (Summer included) I didn`t have to have a side job. I`m hoping to avoid it as long as I possibly can.