PDA

View Full Version : Slight micromarring on black

JeffM
10-14-2007, 10:03 AM
I am battling some slight micromarring i cant remove for the life of me.

Last nite i decided to polish out my hood with an orange pad and DACP, then an orange pad and ZPC, then the trouble began.

I used a white sfx pad with zpc, fp2, detailers pride mild swirl eliminator, and nothing would remove 100% of the marring under direct lighting.

It does look very good in sunlight, but if you refocus your eyes there is some slight crap i cant remove. Pretty much invisible unless you are ocd.

Would an even softer pad and a more mild polish do the trick? I do have some SFX 3, but im not sure if there is even any cut to that.

imported_themightytimmah
10-14-2007, 11:07 AM
I would usually recommend RMG on a black pad for that sort of thing, but judging by the ZPC, you probably want to finish with Zaino. A black pad and a rotary would definitely fix the problem, but in the meantime, try a black finishing pad, PC 6, and even less ZPC than you typically use.

Whereabouts in Florida are you?

JeffM
10-14-2007, 11:56 AM
Thanks, have some RMG and a black pad i could play with. Im here in Sebastian loving the weather now !

Does RMG have alittle bite to it?

imported_bpfoley
10-14-2007, 12:12 PM
perhaps a soft pad (black) and something like FK 303 Foam Pad Glaze (has some unusual bite to it for a glaze) would finish it down clean. I do not believe RMG has any bite.

Patman
10-15-2007, 06:08 AM
The orange pad is the big reason for the micromarring to begin with. With black paint (or any dark color) you pretty much want to avoid ever using an orange pad on a PC/UDM. If you can`t do enough correction with a medium cut type of compound (like Meguiar`s 83 for example) and the white polishing pad, then your next step up is to use a rotary.

I found when I used an orange pad on my black Corvette it just made too much of a micromarring mess.

I have gotten great results using Meguiar`s #9 swirl remover on a white pad to get rid of any haziness/micromarring out of my paint, so you might want to try that. Menzerna`s micro-polish also sounds like it would be a good choice too. At this stage what you really want to use is something with a very very mild abrasive, and go over the paint a couple of times with it.

imported_rydawg
10-15-2007, 06:43 AM
What type of car is it? I am guessing this is done by pc/udm?

The orange pad is for the rotary use for sure. Sometimes the pc just does not have enough grunt to remove all of the compound micromarring. I know on some cars I get, it takes 106 on a polish pad via rotary at 2000 rpm quite some finessing time to get 100% under lights. So, I would imagine a pc/udm to take forever to remove them.

SCutchins
10-15-2007, 11:23 AM
I had great results on a black truck removing swirls from a rotary/wool combo using Menzerna and Z-PC.

Here are the steps I used, this is all by 7424:

IP with orange pad

FP with white pad

Z-PC with white pad

Z-AIO with gray pad

Z-8