PDA

View Full Version : Best starter polish for those new to the 7424?

Pages : [1] 2 3

imported_RedlineIRL
10-13-2007, 03:40 PM
What is the best polish to start off with for beginners with the 7424 and an orange pad? I`m looking for something that has very mild abrasives, is capable of removing swirls, and will not cause holograming or buffer trails. Would something like Meguiars Deep Crystal polish work ok to start out since it is very mild? I figured I would start out mild and work up as necessary.

SuperBee364
10-13-2007, 04:09 PM
Either Backfire Scratch Resistant Compound or Menzerna Super Intensive Polish. Both of these medium weight polishes will give you the maximum correcting power you can get with a medium polish and a PC, and yet are still very safe to use. Follow that up with Menzerna PO106FF Nano Polish, Blackfire Scratch Resistant Clear Finishing Polish, or Einszett Hochglanz.

The PC itself is so mild, that you kinda need to up it`s capabilities by using stronger products. All of the products listed above have the most bite you can get in their respective classes. Meguiars Deep Crystal Polish is pretty worthless, really.

If you`re looking for great results with a PC, I`d try:

Wash

Clay

Menzerna SIP or BSRC on an orange, 4" Lake Country pad, speed six. Repeat until your defect removal is satisfactory.

Menzerna PO106FF (or the other mentioned finishing polishes) on a white Lake Country pad at speed six. Repeat until you get the gloss you`re looking for.

Apply your favorite LSP.

JasonD
10-13-2007, 04:16 PM
The very first polish type product I ever used with a Porter Cable polisher was Klasse AIO. It`s really a paint cleaner more than a polish so you can`t really do harm even if you tried, and even though its really easy to use, it does force you to use proper polishing technique if you want it to work properly. You will learn how to judge when you use too much or too little product, what speeds to use on the machine, and how to "work" small areas because if you don`t do all of these things, it will be a bit of a pain to remove and if done correctly, its as easy as they come.

imported_RedlineIRL
10-13-2007, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I just wanted to make sure since I`m not too sure, is the orange pad more for swirl removal and the white pad used for applying sealers and waxes?

JasonD
10-13-2007, 04:56 PM
What polisher/pad kit did you buy?

BigAl3
10-13-2007, 05:44 PM
What is the best polish to start off with for beginners with the 7424 and an orange pad? I`m looking for something that has very mild abrasives, is capable of removing swirls, and will not cause holograming or buffer trails. Would something like Meguiars Deep Crystal polish work ok to start out since it is very mild? I figured I would start out mild and work up as necessary.

i`ve had good results with both the optimum polish & compound, especially OC with an orange pad...

imported_grease
10-13-2007, 06:53 PM
I wouldn`t suggest menzerna polishes for a noob w/ PC. Why?

- they dust more then others if you aren`t careful with how long you work them

- they`re picky with the weather (sun and humidity)

- they`re fairly expensive

- they have short working times, which means a noob may use more polish then neccessary

If I were you, Id get Optimum (OP and PC). Longer working times allow you to see how a polish breaks down when you are learning. And Optimum polishes are the king of long working times. :) OP/OC will be a cheap combo too, maybe $30 total for a 32 oz bottle of each polish.

Scottwax
10-13-2007, 06:57 PM
Meguiars #80 Speed Glaze is pretty much goof proof. Optimum Polish is also excellent but a little more sensitive to how much product you use (hint-less is more).

MLindgren
10-13-2007, 06:57 PM
I used my UDM for the first time today. The test was my 2005 Carrera S. Since I spent decent money on the car I bought based on recommendations here on Autopia.

I first used Menzerna Super Intensive Polish followed up with 106ff. I was surprised at how simple it was to get drastic improvement on a car that already had great paint. I`d say the Menzerna is well worth the $$$ and very easy to use. The results made the effort nearly as worthwhile as the drive afterwards. I will try to get some pics posted up tomorrow.

Accumulator
10-13-2007, 06:58 PM
My recommendationfor newbies is something from 1Z. VERY user-friendly, good with regard to trim-staining, and they (at least the consumer level products) leave wax behind so you don`t *have* to do the LSP step until after the next wash if you`re tired after all the polishing.

SuperBee364
10-13-2007, 09:03 PM
I wouldn`t suggest menzerna polishes for a noob w/ PC. Why?

- they dust more then others if you aren`t careful with how long you work them

- they`re picky with the weather (sun and humidity)

- they`re fairly expensive

- they have short working times, which means a noob may use more polish then neccessary

If I were you, Id get Optimum (OP and PC). Longer working times allow you to see how a polish breaks down when you are learning. And Optimum polishes are the king of long working times. :) OP/OC will be a cheap combo too, maybe $30 total for a 32 oz bottle of each polish.

SIP isn`t nearly as picky when used with a PC as it is with a rotary. OP is good, but it isn`t very powerful, especially when used with a PC. If he has moderately hard or harder clearcoat, it just won`t get the job done.

I still stick by the SIP/106FF recommendations. Effective and safe, even for a new guy. Really hard (if not impossible) to improve on that combo.

SuperBee364
10-13-2007, 09:05 PM
I used my UDM for the first time today. The test was my 2005 Carrera S. Since I spent decent money on the car I bought based on recommendations here on Autopia.

I first used Menzerna Super Intensive Polish followed up with 106ff. I was surprised at how simple it was to get drastic improvement on a car that already had great paint. I`d say the Menzerna is well worth the $$$ and very easy to use. The results made the effort nearly as worthwhile as the drive afterwards. I will try to get some pics posted up tomorrow.

:bigups :bigups

cshorey
10-13-2007, 09:11 PM
I am new and chose to go with 1Z polish. In all honesty it went really well and was very easy to use. Also be knew I was able to easily see correction occur. So as a first time user I was really happy.

I used 4" CCS pads. Green with 1Z PP and White with 1Z MP w/ W. I topped it off with #845 on a black pad.

chris

BigJimZ28
10-13-2007, 09:55 PM
right now I am in love with Danase`s swirl abolishers here is a review I did: http://autopia.org/forum/danase/96491-swirl-abolishers-review.html

i think they are on sale or you can get sample sizes if you want to try them out

also Deep Crystal polish is actually a glaze and will only hide the swirls not remove them

Accumulator
10-14-2007, 11:23 AM
I am new and chose to go with 1Z polish. In all honesty it went really well and was very easy to use...

Thanks for the feedback on 1Z. I don`t always hear back about how well/not it works out for people.