PDA

View Full Version : How do you get swirls out of chrome?

Tispho
10-13-2007, 09:09 AM
From what I found out searching, you clean with #0000 steel wool, But that will put micro scratches on them? Then you polish them out with any metal polish???

How long would it take to polish out swirls on chrome?

Mikeyc
10-13-2007, 09:56 AM
I`m curious to know this too. I have some chrome on my car which is swirled to heck already. It seems to be really succeptible (how the heck do you spell this?!?) to it for some reason. I`ve never really had to deal with chrome before and so far it`s a PITA.

imported_Totoland Mach
10-13-2007, 10:49 AM
Chrome plating is a micro thin layer to protect the shiney nickel plating underneath. I`ve found that a light paste wax is decent protection and will fill tiny scratches to give the appearance you are looking for. If the chrome plating is scratched enough, it will expose the nickel and you`ll start to see yellowing of the item.

Toto

Accumulator
10-13-2007, 12:33 PM
Yeah, IME you can fill scratches in chrome, but you can`t buff/polish them out. The chromium is just too hard and too thin for abrasive approaches to work.

I`ve been looking for a way to do this since taking delivery of the Jag in `85...now, years later, some of its chrome is worn away (down to the underlying layers of plating) but the scratches are still there in the remaining top layer of chromium. So IME the only way to get rid of scratches in chrome is to get rid of the chrome, not exactly a good solution :grinno:

sneek
10-13-2007, 01:28 PM
There is that Mother`s repair kit, but I don`t really think it would work.