PDA

View Full Version : Started my first detail today - Few questions

jnick
10-13-2007, 01:06 AM
Like I stated in my other threads, I started to detail one of our cars today. I chose to do my parents 2001 Santa Fe. Here`s what I did so far:

Washed the car with Meg`s GC Wash

Dried with MF towels

Began claying with the mothers claying kit

So far I have the passengers side clayed. Hopefully tomorrow I can finish claying the entire car, and polish it. However, as of right now, my back is SHOT :help:

First I have to say, the Megs GC Wash smells insanely awesome :p. I almost wanted to take a bubble bath with it, ROFL.

Anyhoo, claying is amazing. The smoothness of the panels after claying is amazing. It`s definitely worth the time and isn`t all to hard to do. However, I did run into some difficult areas. This mainly being the back of the side view mirrors. The bugs simply wouldn`t completely come off. There`s still about 4-5 specs left. Granted, they`re really tiny, but they are there and it`s pissing me off. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to loosen the tar/bugs up to remove the last few specs?

Now when looking at pictures in the C&B section, I see a lot of people "tape off" sections of the car. I have two questions...Why? And is it just regular painters tape?

I notices a lot of the things taped off is trim and rubber. My assumption would be that certain polishes and waxes stain the trim?Besides trim, is there anything else that you would tape off?

Finally, I need a good upholstery/carpet cleaner. Both of the cars contain fabric seats. There is no leather in either car. The santa fe is simple car fabric while my Lancer is like a microfiber/suede type of material. The carpets are the normal/average carpeting. Do you guys have any suggestions on a cleaner?

I do have a shop-vac with various attachments. Therefore, all I`m lacking is the appropriate cleaner.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

doc-rice
10-13-2007, 01:42 AM
Tar and bug remover. Do a search and you`ll find some recommendations here for specific products.

Regular painter`s blue tape. I prefer the "delicate" ones that aren`t as sticky. Used to protect trim / rubber / textures that may get stained from polishes. Also just a good way to cover up areas that shouldn`t be hit by a buffer.

May want to cover up other areas like windows, etc., so you don`t have to do as much cleaning up after all the dust the polish might produce during buffing.

Do a search for "extractor."

Cleaning Fool
10-13-2007, 06:41 AM
Folex from Lowes or Home Depot would be your best choice locally for carpet.

jnick
10-13-2007, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the info guys! Today I finished claying, polishing and waxing.

However, I didn`t realize that you should polish at least 2-3 times. I only applied one coat by hand. Oh well, lesson learned for next time. I just have to give it another coat of wax, wax the wheels, clean the windows, and then when I get Folex, clean the interior.

It`s been a helluva experience though, let me tell you!