PDA

View Full Version : Just applied Ultima. I`m Ultimately confused.

Pages : [1] 2

d2mini
10-12-2007, 12:23 PM
So here`s the dealio. I have a brand new A3. Just off the boat. I washed it, used the Ultima Elastrofoam on the front end and then used UPPP. The UPPP was awesome. Very easy to apply and remove. I even let it sit as I did about 1/5th of the car at a time, then went back and wiped it off before doing the next 1/5th.

But now the "problem". The UPGP I found very hard to work with because I knew I was not supposed to over apply. I primed the pad with two sprays, did half the hood, then applied another spray from then on doing one panel at a time. Took all of 10-15 minutes to do the whole car. The problem I had was that i couldn`t see the product on the panel! For the first second or two I could see an oily film. But as I applied over the whole panel I couldn`t see anything. I`m under flourescent lighting and looked from all angles. When I was done I even pulled it out into the sun and still nothing. The only place I see a little "smearing" is on the black glass roof. The rest of the car is bright red.

Any thoughts? Did I apply it correctly? The whole time I`m worried that I`m wiping too much and removing the product at the same time that i`m applying it.

Oh, and that sprayer is funked up. Kept dripping product down all over my hand. But i think I remember something about david working on a solution for that. Also, i wasn`t fond of the pump top on the UPPP. Too akward to dispense product compared to a regular flip top.

SuperBee364
10-12-2007, 12:26 PM
Sounds like you did your application perfectly to me. :)

Seeing the oily film for just a second or two before it vanishes means you got it just right.

d2mini
10-12-2007, 12:36 PM
Woohoo! Really? Phew.

Ok, so how long until I can drive the car and how long until I can apply a second coat?

Should I go over the car with the Ultima Detail Spray right before the second coat?

Thanks!

Macruz19
10-12-2007, 12:40 PM
As far as wipe on, walk away products from my experience with Z-CS and OS...The less you use, the faster the drying time is. Too much can cause haze and streaks which will need QD to wipe the excess off. Sounds about right, you prime the pad, and 1 to 2 sqritz on a panel and work it in.

chml17l
10-12-2007, 12:47 PM
This should answer many of your questions...

ULTIMA PAINT GUARD PLUS FAQ

Ultima Paint Guard Plus (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/ult-1012-100.html)

d2mini
10-12-2007, 12:58 PM
Yeah, i read the faq and that was part of the reason I was confused.

Wipe the product in well and finish by wiping in a straight line direction (this will help you see where you have applied product). When it appears that no more product is being applied to the paint, spray one more shot of product onto the applicator.

I couldn`t see where I applied it and it hardly every looked like product was being applied.

chml17l
10-12-2007, 01:02 PM
Yeah, i read the faq and that was part of the reason I was confused.

I couldn`t see where I applied it and it hardly every looked like product was being applied.

Unfornately, these are the typical application characteristics you will see with most WOWA type of products. Although, I do find the UPGP easier to see where it has been applied than Z-CS. There is no substitute for "hands on" experience.

It also helps if you are already used to applying sealants "whisper-thin."

d2mini
10-12-2007, 01:28 PM
Cool, thanks!

Danny318
10-12-2007, 01:48 PM
we need pictures

d2mini
10-12-2007, 02:04 PM
Well, here is a pic taken yesterday. As you can see, being a brand new car, the paint is in great shape already. So not sure if I`ll see much of a difference... but will post pics in a couple days once at least 2 coats have cured.

http://d2creative.smugmug.com/photos/206706176-L.jpg

mikebai1990
10-12-2007, 02:56 PM
Wow, excellent photography skills :) Good job!

Joshua312
10-12-2007, 03:46 PM
I`ll agree with you that the sprayer on the Paint Guard bottle is absolute crap. I cant tell you how much product has been wasted by the stupid dripping while trying to use the product. The sample bottles were a lot better. So you pay $70 for your product to slowly drip away.

frostydog
10-12-2007, 07:39 PM
Wow, excellent photography skills :) Good job!

^^ What he said :up

rleven
10-12-2007, 11:40 PM
Yeah, I am really bummed about the sprayer too. I hope the new one is soon to be mailed to the people who bought the product for $70.

SpoiledMan
10-12-2007, 11:44 PM
The sprayer issue was addressed in an email a week or so ago. IIRC they should be being replaced in the coming weeks.