PDA

View Full Version : How do you appy grape dressing?

alex spanos
10-11-2007, 06:55 PM
How do you all apply grape dressing? It says to use an applicator, but I hate doing that. Is it okay to spray it on? What dilutions, if any, should I use? Thanks

stiffdogg06
10-11-2007, 07:22 PM
I think sprays cause more a of blotchy look and never spread even like an applicator can.

top of the line.com sells foam applicators for .50 each if u buy more than 5. I get 10 for 5.00 every time i order something from them.

Paulie Walnuts
10-11-2007, 07:55 PM
Open bottle, throw in garbage.

Or just get any old applicator from Walmart. I buy their 1 buck sponges.

Setec Astronomy
10-11-2007, 09:10 PM
top of the line.com sells foam applicators for .50 each if u buy more than 5. I get 10 for 5.00 every time i order something from them.

Which applicator is that? I only see more expensive and less expensive.

Setec Astronomy
10-11-2007, 09:14 PM
It says to use an applicator, but I hate doing that.

Why do you hate it? Too slow? Hand gets too messy? White95Max gave me a tip a long time ago about putting an Eagle One-style curved applicator into a plastic sandwich bag (zip lock style), with the curved part facing the open end of the bag. You grab the proper end of the applicator, through the bag, and roll the bag back over your fingers. Now you can dress the tires, roll the bag back over the applicator, and seal the bag. Your hand stays clean, and the greasy app is sealed in a bag. This doesn`t work perfectly, after a while you get some dressing transferred to the outside, but it`s still a good tip.

EDIT: I have used this only for water-based dressings since I don`t like the oily ones myself.

NSXTASY
10-11-2007, 09:25 PM
1) If you are going to spray it on, you will definitely need to even it out, for, it will be blotchy and sling on your paint.

2) I wouldn`t reccomend dilluting it as its petroleum based.

3) Grape dressing is messy, greasy, and dirt sticks to it like no other unless you apply a very thin coat and allow it to dry completely.

BigAl3
10-11-2007, 09:27 PM
if you`re worried about getting all messy, buy a box of latex gloves (100ct) at your local harbor freight for around $8...

OR

http://www.griotsgarage.com/images/products/lg/50557_LG.jpg

APPLY JUST THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF TIRE DRESSING WITHOUT GETTING YOUR HANDS DIRTY

Here`s the next generation applicator for our Vinyl & Rubber Dressing and Long-Lasting Tire Dressing. Use this pad and you`ll save product versus the "spray-on" method. The rigid plastic backing plate is slightly arched so it conforms to the radius of the tire sidewall. The comfortable handle keeps your fingers away from the dressing so your hands stay clean. Comes with three, hook-and-loop, 5 1/4" wide foam pads that may be rinsed clean for extended use. Made in the U.S.A.

stiffdogg06
10-11-2007, 09:27 PM
Which applicator is that? I only see more expensive and less expensive.

Just go to search and type in Foam Applicator. It`ll bring up one that is $.75 But if you buy more than 5. The price drops to $.50 each. I use those

Setec Astronomy
10-11-2007, 09:34 PM
Just go to search and type in Foam Applicator. It`ll bring up one that is $.75 But if you buy more than 5. The price drops to $.50 each. I use those

Oh..I got confused by the 6/$3.00 when I didn`t see any 10/$5.00 :o

stiffdogg06
10-11-2007, 09:34 PM
Oh..I got confused by the 6/$3.00 when I didn`t see any 10/$5.00 :o

Sorry for the misunderstanding. :p

alex spanos
10-12-2007, 04:46 PM
Why do you hate it? Too slow? Hand gets too messy? White95Max gave me a tip a long time ago about putting an Eagle One-style curved applicator into a plastic sandwich bag (zip lock style), with the curved part facing the open end of the bag. You grab the proper end of the applicator, through the bag, and roll the bag back over your fingers. Now you can dress the tires, roll the bag back over the applicator, and seal the bag. Your hand stays clean, and the greasy app is sealed in a bag. This doesn`t work perfectly, after a while you get some dressing transferred to the outside, but it`s still a good tip.

EDIT: I have used this only for water-based dressings since I don`t like the oily ones myself.

Thanks for the tip. The reason I hate doing it is because I have a jeep Rubicon, and the tires are rather large, and they have alot of little areas on each tire that I have to get into or else it looks stupid. Oh Well, Ill just use an applicator.

NSXTASY
10-12-2007, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the tip. The reason I hate doing it is because I have a jeep Rubicon, and the tires are rather large, and they have alot of little areas on each tire that I have to get into or else it looks stupid. Oh Well, Ill just use an applicator.

Just spray it on first, into the nooks and crannies of the tire, and finish by wiping the the remainder of the tire with an applicator. However, make sure to let it dry or try and wipe out the cracks otherwise when you drive it, it will sling.

imported_DJBAILEY
10-12-2007, 11:32 PM
I have been using my bottle of Grape Tire dressing to dress wheel wells. Just put it on with a regular sponge. I did not like it on my tires. It seemed to draw out that brown conditioner stuff manufactured into the rubber. At least on the the tires of my own cars. Never used it on a customer`s. It was very messy. It has the consistency like water so it runs easily.

Junebug
10-15-2007, 12:27 PM
I have the older pre-VOC Grape and it works fine if you spray on and wipe it in with a foam applicator. I like the look and if you let it sit for 5-10 minutes you shouldn`t have any sling.