PDA

View Full Version : MF Bonnets

laefd
06-25-2005, 09:39 AM
Anyone use the MF bonnets to remove wax/sealants or for a final buff with your PC? I have a few that came with a kit and somewhat reluctant to try - seems they would cake or dust up given their relatively small size.

Experience or comments?

Coastal Eddie
06-25-2005, 11:20 AM
Anyone use the MF bonnets to remove wax/sealants or for a final buff with your PC? I have a few that came with a kit and somewhat reluctant to try - seems they would cake or dust up given their relatively small size.

Experience or comments?

I used to use them a long time ago and found that there wasn`t any advantage (for me) in using them. Removing product by hand with a good plush MF is better.

mtwedt
06-25-2005, 01:57 PM
I have to agree about using the bonnets to remove LSP`s/waxes. You get a better feel for the job and overall better dust removal doing it by hand. I have the best results removing the wax haze with a light spray of S&G and a plush MF. I think the S&G really enhances the result and makes hand removal a little quicker. However, I have not consigned my short nap bonnets to the back of the drawer. Having paid for them, I was determined to find a good use for them. I use them to buff VM off the smooth black trim of my CR-V, including the roof rack using it over a 4" Spot-Buf polishing pad. Now there I have better and quicker results than by hand. I have also used the plusher MF bonnets over my standard pads to do what I think of as a Mega-Gloss buff with S&G on occasion on a fully prepped and sealed finish. There is a bit of extra zing doing this, but probably not enough to warrent making it an essential step. I also just got a couple terry cloth bonnets to use on the PC to buff wood paste wax off my cabinets and things. Since these are often a bit more fatiguing in terms of their all-vertical positions, anything that will speed up the removal process is helpful and the PC works great for this. It certainly improved the gloss on wood. If anyone is interested in taking a whack at their wood cabinets, a gentle cleaning with Murphy`s oil soap followed by Johnson`s paste wax is an excellent way to really add a special look to the kitchen and bath cabinets. I went over this process with the people at Woodcrafter`s before starting out. You don`t realize how dull they get until you clean and wax one. I use the Wolfgang Polishing Pal for wax application, keeping one of the finishing pads dedicated to this purpose. Just another way to really make a difference with the PC and justify my absorbtion in detailing. Of note: The Woodcraft folks said that plain old Murphy`s and the big yellow tin of Johnson`s (got at Home Depot) work just as well as the higher priced cleaners and wood waxes for things like cabinets.

NYV6Coupe
06-27-2005, 07:24 AM
I`ve never used a MF bonnet but I do use the "trap the towel" method of removing product residue. This allows me to choose the plushness of the MF towel & I already own the towel so it`s doing double duty for me.

This method also saves much wear-n-tear on my arms .... isn`t that one of the reasons for buying a PC?

I use an old 6" LC pad that`s getting a bit "fuzzy" so it hangs on the the MF like velcro. Lay the MF flat on the surface (or drape it over the pad) and run the PC at 3 - 3.5 and, IMHO, this will provide some micro-polishing (burnishing) that leaves the surface smooth as glass.

Patrick
06-27-2005, 11:05 AM
The MF bonnets your speaking of are better designed (At least the plush ones) at removing residual oils that Polymers are known to leave, after hand removal. People often speak of not using Polymers for this "Dust Magnet" attraction. Well, now you have no excuse. Heres the trick:
After hand removal, let vehicle sit in the sun for several minutes to warm the surface, thus thinning the oils. Then use the MF bonnet on about 4-4.5 and use overlapping patterns to absorb the thinned oils. It will add additional gloss also. Also will minimize dust attraction. However, it will create some static cling. A spritz of water will assist that problem.

laefd
06-27-2005, 11:25 AM
The MF bonnets your speaking of are better designed (At least the plush ones) at removing residual oils that Polymers are known to leave, after hand removal. People often speak of not using Polymers for this "Dust Magnet" attraction. Well, now you have no excuse. Heres the trick:
After hand removal, let vehicle sit in the sun for several minutes to warm the surface, thus thinning the oils. Then use the MF bonnet on about 4-4.5 and use overlapping patterns to absorb the thinned oils. It will add additional gloss also. Also will minimize dust attraction. However, it will create some static cling. A spritz of water will assist that problem.

Nice! There`s a tip that makes sense, is practical and one which I`ll use. Thanks!

Alextab
07-03-2005, 01:04 AM
I was under the impression that to remove the wax, put a terry towel bonnet over the pad, and that would do it. (I think?) Also the removing of excess polish or glaze should you always remove useing a plush mf?

Patrick
07-03-2005, 11:23 AM
I dont use terry towels for surface care anymore, strictly MF`s.
And what do you do when its time to hit the vertical panels?