PDA

View Full Version : Waxing or Sealing?

HeadnSouth
10-08-2007, 07:48 AM
Been reading about waxing and sealers for fiberglass over at proper boat care.com and they recommend using a sealer and not a wax. So what do you guys think? I`m really impressed with Collinite after reading the opinions on using it on autos and I`m getting my stuff together for spring boat cleaning.

If a sealer is recommended what would you use?

imported_flatstick
10-08-2007, 01:48 PM
For clients boats, I will use Collinite 476. for my bassboat I use Prime strong and AJT. since I am an Autopian and maintain my boat better then most boat owners, I can use a sealant and have no worries. for a customer I will use the 476 x 2 as the lsp. to me the heavier paste wax works better for the long term . since I am using a sealant I will aplly the AJT more often and it is simple to do after a wash. keep in mind the boat should be waxed often but you know how that goes.

HeadnSouth
10-08-2007, 01:56 PM
Thanks, but whats AJT or Prime strong? I didn`t see either in the secret code book. :think:

imported_flatstick
10-08-2007, 02:09 PM
AJT is Acrylic Jett Trigger and prime strong is the paint/ fiberglass cleaner used as a base. the products are made by jeffs werkstatt. you can google it for their website. easy to use, looks great and is durable. a lot of people here have it and do like it. sent you a PM.

HeadnSouth
10-08-2007, 02:12 PM
Thanks!

What would you use on non-skid?

imported_mirrorfinishman
10-08-2007, 04:55 PM
First of all, car products are for cars and marine boat products are for boats. Not a good idea to use a car product on the gelcoat of a boat. Think about it this way, why would a detailing product manufacturer spend their time and money developing a product for specific use, only to have the consumer go out there and use it for something it was not intended for? Why not trust the product to do what it was designed to do?

When a product is designed and engineered to be used on cars, then use it on cars. On the flip side, stick with using those marine grade products that were designed and engineered to be used on boats. Anyone who recommends using a product for something other than its intended use, will sooner or later learn the importance of this message.

For the exposed exterior fiberglass gelcoats of most boats, I would recommend using a sealer and not a wax. Personally, I have found the Meguiar`s Flagship Premium Polymer Sealant to work very well in most situations. Compared to their #56 Pure Wax, the sealant goes on relatively easy and comes off just as easy. And all the while it provides maximum durability. Of course, my recommendations are based on my own experience detailing boats and getting the necessary results.

imported_flatstick
10-08-2007, 05:22 PM
So you are saying I do not know what the f*** I am talking about then ? that is what I am getting from your post. guess you have seen the condition of my boat and are going to tell me the gelcoat is shot.

SpeedEuphoria
10-09-2007, 12:14 PM
1st let me say that I am far from an expert on this topic or many for that matter. I think its like many things that you can buy now. Why have people use car product that they allready have on boats? when you can relabel them and make them buy more$$$. This is not allways the case but picking on people`s lack of knowledge in todays society is a good way to make big $$$, look at the "Tornado" and gas milage saving devices, and many other products on the market today.

like I said I`m no expert in this case and the Marine stuff is prob better for that application, but car stuff may work ok for some

BlackElantraGT
10-09-2007, 12:33 PM
Collinite 476 is just Collinite 885 from my understanding, but in a smaller container. Collinite 885 is listed for Marine and Aeronautical uses.

I think SpeedEuphoria makes a good point about it possibly being a way to make more money.

imported_mirrorfinishman
10-10-2007, 04:34 AM
What would you use on non-skid?

In most cases it is not a good idea to use any type of polish or wax on non-skid areas. Doing that could cause the non-skid surface to become slippery, especially when its wet. The best advice is to thoroughly scrub the non-skid during the wash process using your favorite all purpose cleaner and a stiff bristle nylon brush.

HeadnSouth
10-10-2007, 05:48 AM
In most cases it is not a good idea to use any type of polish or wax on non-skid areas. Doing that could cause the non-skid surface to become slippery, especially when its wet. The best advice is to thoroughly scrub the non-skid during the wash process using your favorite all purpose cleaner and a stiff bristle nylon brush.

Yea, I hear ya. I`ve seen a lot of sprays for the NS but never used them. I`d imagine waxing NS would be a real PITA to get out.

imported_mirrorfinishman
10-10-2007, 12:10 PM
Yea, I hear ya. I`ve seen a lot of sprays for the NS but never used them. I`d imagine waxing NS would be a real PITA to get out.

I was just in a boat supply store today and noticed a few spray cleaners specifically made for cleaning non-skid. Sounds like a good purchase for that application. And for those people who insist on waxing non-skid, the easiest way to get the dried wax residue out from between the textured fiberglass is simply to use a soft bristle nylon brush. Again, I think it is much safer not to wax non-skid.

G8RDave
11-06-2007, 12:26 AM
Many boaters use Woody`s Wax on non-skid. It does not get slippery and it makes cleaning up after fishing much easier.

I have used both Zaino, and Collinite 845 on my boat and have been happy with both. NOTHING will last under the waterline. The friction from the water seems to wear it off very quickly.

chas.007
11-16-2007, 11:39 PM
i think you should use a sealer always ,,,then a few coats of carnuba wax that shall give you the best results

Boozman
11-24-2007, 04:20 PM
Boat stores sell a non skid wax for boats thats works great, I`ve used it on mine and never had a problem