PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of Star Brite?

corvettecrazy
10-07-2007, 01:29 PM
Star Brite Premium Marine Polish.

http://www.starbrite.com/Prodimages/85716-Prem-Marine-polish.jpg

Star brite - Catalog - Product Detail (http://www.starbrite.com/productdetail.cfm?ID=1114&ProductCat=Marine&ProductSCat=Marine%20Polishes&ProductSSCat=Marine%20Waxes%20%26%20Polish)

My buddy got it from a friend who claims it is one of the longest lasting products he has ever used.

Anyone every heard of it? Is it a good product?

Is it safe for all painted surfaces including auto. paint? (my friend wants to try it on his car and I would rather not have him mess his paint up)

imported_weekendwarrior
10-07-2007, 04:14 PM
I just found out about starbrite as well. I was at the auto parts store, and saw a Starbrite vinyl protectant in a spray bottle. I bought a bottle specifically to use on vinyl convertible tops. I recently applied it to a Mustang I detailed, and was pleased with it. It was very wattery, and did not feel greasy at all. It applied very easily, and left a slight sheen, but nothing over the top. I am hoping dust won`t stick to the top, and from the way this stuff went on, I don`t think it will run when rain hits it. I told the owner to let me know if it does in fact run the first time the roof gets rained on. I will post back here once I hear from him.

I got this vinyl protectant at the local auto parts store in the marine section, and it was only like $4.

Anosmiac
10-07-2007, 10:26 PM
I used to apply StarBrite`s Poly System 1 to my father`s boats based on his preference. Very easy to apply and remove, and the overall durability of the coating was good.

However, on my boat (2002 Triton 205), I use only Collinite`s products. Very good application, and the finish is second to none. The biggest advantage to me is that it makes my boat look brand new. Here is a picture of it from this past May...3 months afterr I detailed it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/anosmiac/DSC00819.jpg (http://photobucket.com)

puravida417
10-21-2007, 10:01 PM
Star Brite is all over down here in the local marine stores. I`ve tried everything but their polishes so I can`t share my experiences with it unfortunately.

Brian_Brice
10-21-2007, 10:08 PM
I`ve quoted many marine owners that wanted me to use star brite, I never looked into it, they all gave me their demo`s, they rubbed it on by hand and removed, don`t know if this is the case with all of their polishes but zero defect removing capabilities w/that method, I just figured it was a chemical cleaner/polish.

SShine
10-21-2007, 10:33 PM
I always see that stuff at marine stores. I suspect there are better things out there.

phamkl
10-21-2007, 11:03 PM
Sounds like they may be a marine version of Turtle Wax but for all I know they could be the Duragloss.

imported_mirrorfinishman
10-26-2007, 08:18 AM
Star Brite Premium Marine Polish. Anyone every heard of it? Is it a good product? Is it safe for all painted surfaces including auto. paint? (my friend wants to try it on his car and I would rather not have him mess his paint up)

Like most of the other major brand marine products, Star Brite marine products have been basically designed to be used on fiberglass boat gelcoats. Personally, I would rank Star Brite right up there with 3M and Meguiar`s boat detailing products. Also, since fiberglass gelcoats are a bit different than painted surfaces, your friend would be smart to stay with car products on his car.

Setec Astronomy
10-26-2007, 08:41 AM
StarBrite has been around forever. They used to have a line of car products in the 70`s & 80`s, a liquid cleaner wax that was really gritty. Used to work well by hand on oxidized SS.

dogma
10-27-2007, 07:07 PM
That was actually the 1st polish I used on my car, 1978 to be exact. I used to get here in CONN at Bradlees and Caldor it was sold as both car and boat polish. I liked it a lot and couldn`t find it any more. It was easy on easy off and left a cloud free clear shine.

Boozman
11-01-2007, 10:17 AM
I used it on ny boat when it was new but after the gelcoat starts to get chalkie it wouldn`t do the job.

howareb
11-26-2007, 02:13 PM
I helped a guy out in Advanced Auto Parts the other day who had this S*** eating grin on his face because he just brought a boat and had to polish it. He was looking over in the car wax section with one of those random orbitals under his arm. I directed him over to the Star Bright product above and it just about made his day. Man it was enjoyable to see someone take such a passion about waxing a boat. :)

imported_weekendwarrior
11-26-2007, 02:18 PM
I just found out about starbrite as well. I was at the auto parts store, and saw a Starbrite vinyl protectant in a spray bottle. I bought a bottle specifically to use on vinyl convertible tops. I recently applied it to a Mustang I detailed, and was pleased with it. It was very wattery, and did not feel greasy at all. It applied very easily, and left a slight sheen, but nothing over the top. I am hoping dust won`t stick to the top, and from the way this stuff went on, I don`t think it will run when rain hits it. I told the owner to let me know if it does in fact run the first time the roof gets rained on. I will post back here once I hear from him.

I got this vinyl protectant at the local auto parts store in the marine section, and it was only like $4.

Just as a follow up to my previous post (above) - I spoke with the owner of the convertible Mustang that I used the Star Brite vinyl protectant on the roof, and he confirmed that this stuff did not run/streak down onto the paint when it got wet. Looks like I will keep this in my arsenal for use on vinyl tops. For $4 a bottle, can`t beat that!!!

imported_Lightman
12-04-2007, 11:13 AM
303 makes a nice convertiblet top protectant fyi weekend warrior.

As for star brite - I use their deck/hull cleaner with ptef and it`s awesome..it only takes such a small amount to use, cleans the deck much whiter than even strong stuff like citrus degreasers or greased lightning, and has the ptef non skid stuff, which also works, it`s not slippery even when wet. Can`t comment on their polishes, but overall it seems like a pretty cheap/generic line.

beabout
12-04-2007, 12:36 PM
When I had a boat in the 80`s this stuff was great for cleaning the bottom and top of the boat. I think it maybe to aggressive for cars etc as it was designed to tackle all that scum sh*t that come from the water.