PDA

View Full Version : Faded/Oxidized Vinyl Graphics?

purplenurple
10-06-2007, 11:44 PM
Ok, so we have a 2003/4 27ft FourWinns, and the vinyl graphics on the side seem oxidized or faded (they look whitish). Whats a good product to use on them to bring them back to looking like new? I have Collinite #870 that I will be putting on when it cools down, but Im not sure if it has any cleaning properties.

Thanks.

imported_flatstick
10-07-2007, 12:28 PM
You can try my two favs. I will use Prime strong or Klasse AIO with my pc very light polishing pad or mr clean magic eraser , just go easy with light pressure with these. if it is bad I use the eraser first , then the Prime strong. just remember nothing too abrasive. boats are hard work but in the end, they are worth it. good luck and let us know how it goes for you.

imported_mirrorfinishman
10-08-2007, 06:17 AM
By the time vinyl graphics become oxidized and faded it is way to late to really do anything about it. Sure, there are products out there that claim to bring them back to new, however, don`t be fooled, that like-new look will usually only last about a month and in some cases you may actually see that oxidation begin to creep back within a few days. The key to keeping vinyl graphics looking good, is regular maintenance from when the boat is new. A premium sealant applied at least three or four times a year would be a good choice for this application.

One other note. Not all vinyl is the same. Like anything else, there are different grades of vinyl. For example, the vinyl used on many of the more expensive boats may in fact be far superior to that used on lower priced boats. That is not always the case, however, either way, it is a given that all vinyl must be cleaned and protected on a regular basis.