PDA

View Full Version : Best mitt to prevent marring? Sheepskin isn`t it.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

imported_RedlineIRL
10-06-2007, 11:25 PM
I`ve heard many times that lambswool is supposeldy the best wash mitt you can get, but I`m definately having second thoughts. I`ve been using lambswool mitts for a little while and I`ve notice some marring that I used to not have. I can tell it`s from this mitt since the marring is going the same direction that I wash on the car. Lambswool/sheepskin may be alright for garage queens that get driven a couple times a month, but not for a daily driver. I use a two bucket with a grit guard and rinse the mitt out very frequently, so I don`t get it. I`m going to be switching to something else. What else is out there that is plush and can easily trap dirt and be rinsed out? How about chenilles?

SpoiledMan
10-06-2007, 11:36 PM
I`ve said it many times and I`ll say it again. A $2 grout sponge is your best bet.

imported_Picus
10-06-2007, 11:49 PM
Which sheepskin are you using? I only ask because I`ve never had a problem with them. Also, how do you dry?

Grout sponges and boars hair brushes are two other popular options.

mr.ikon
10-07-2007, 01:49 AM
The 2 dollar sponge at Home Depot? Hmm i`ll give that a shot.

JeffM
10-07-2007, 09:21 AM
How often do you rinse out the grout sponge?

For example, every 3 feet? or a 2x2 area?

Accumulator
10-07-2007, 10:31 AM
If you CD-test the mitt (properly, i.e., wet with shampoo, etc.) you`ll probably find it`s not the mitt itself that`s causing the marring. Rather, most wash-induced marring comes from dirt getting stuck between the mitt and the paint and then being moved under pressure.

I use a foamgun to provide constant lubrication and flushing, and I do the initial passes with a BHB, which rinses clean while being moved across the paint.

Using interrupted, jiggling motions helps to avoid long scratches...if the wash-induced marring is a few inches long then something is very, very wrong IMO. During the pauses/interruptions there`s an opportunity for dirt to get flushed away.

Also, try filling the mitt with shampoo mix and holding it shut at the cuff. Gently whisk it across the paint while the shampoo mix seeps out. Pressing the mitt against the paint in the usual way will usually involve so much pressure that you`ll get marring.

I`ve noticed that with my foamgun-centric wash technique, my rinse water buckets are *much* cleaner at the end of a wash, even when the vehicle was *VERY* dirty. That tells me that far less dirt is getting stuck in the mitts, where it could cause marring.

You simply can`t press dirt against the paint and them *move* said dirt.

SpoiledMan
10-07-2007, 12:04 PM
How often do you rinse out the grout sponge?

For example, every 3 feet? or a 2x2 area?

You don`t need to do anything special. Load it up with wash solution and wash away.

JeffM
10-07-2007, 01:37 PM
You don`t need to do anything special. Load it up with wash solution and wash away.

Hmm, ill have to try this one :idea

imported_Yal
10-07-2007, 02:14 PM
I`ve said it many times and I`ll say it again. A $2 grout sponge is your best bet.

Picked one up the other day for winter prep. I was impressed! :)

Milestones
10-07-2007, 02:16 PM
You may be getting marring with the sheepskin mitt - but I doubt the marring is being caused by the sheepskin mitt.

In my experience (albeit limited) a sheepskin mitt is less likely to marr than a MF mitt, Shmitt, chenille mitt, or boar`s hair brush. I haven`t tried the grout sponge.

The majority (if not outright consensus) seems to be that sheepskin provides the least chance of marring because of: 1) its ability to pull dirt into the nap and away from the paint while washing; and 2) it`s ability to release dirt/grit when being rinsed. The only knock I`ve ever heard about sheepskin is: 1) it`s relative lack of ability to do aggressive cleaning because of it`s softness (but this is the tradeoff of it`s non-marring character); and 2) it`s relative lack of durability compared to MF/Shmitt/Boar`s Hair.

Brian_Brice
10-07-2007, 03:07 PM
I`ve never had any marring issues with my sheepskin, but I also use grout sponges more often than anything thanks to SM`s tip.

SpoiledMan
10-07-2007, 09:31 PM
They`re not just killer for the price, they`re just killer!:D

04yfz
10-07-2007, 09:37 PM
Lately I like the dread lock microfiber mits, it seems like they release the dirt better and I found a bunch of my sheep skin mit had some sort of seeds embedded in them that were a pain in the *** to remove.

purplenurple
10-07-2007, 10:32 PM
The grout sponge sounds interesting...

I like my Lake County mitt, tho.

Bert
10-08-2007, 09:55 AM

The type of sponges you would use to install tiles? I guess I learn something new every time I log on here.