PDA

View Full Version : Black Titan Etching?

storm
10-06-2007, 09:51 PM
Hi,

I ran across this site several months ago and have been coming back reading all the great detailing info you have posted. I`ve read thru the detailing guide (very informative) and still have a couple questions I hope to get answers to.

I have an `06 Nissan Titan with metallic black paint that has what I believe to be etching. I bought the truck new on a very stormy day. It was slightly dirty with road film. I didn`t notice the etching (?) until I started waxing it. It looks like very small water marks that have dried all on top and next to each other. The lines are very thin. It`s not like the big circular water marks that are left after a rain shower. It`s mostly on the hood and top. I use Meguiars NXT Generation paste wax and have used their cleaner wax. Still there. The sides of the truck are very glossy. The hood shines and looks good from a distance, but up close and especially at a certain angle it looks dull - like a film on it. It feels smooth to the touch. I`ve also tried the vinegar bath and have clayed with Mother`s Clay.

I`ve read about the Porter Cable polisher - (took a while to figure out what everyone meant by "PC"). I`m a little hesitant to use one. I know the detail info says they are safe to use, but I also hear things like clear coat is soft on Titans and paint is thin, can cause burn marks on paint. I would definately be afraid to use any abrasive pads or compounds on truck.

If anyone has any suggestions to what this may be and how to remove it for someone very reluctant to try anything drastic, please let me know.

Sorry for length of message.

Storm

SuperBee364
10-06-2007, 09:54 PM
Can you post some pictures of it?

storm
10-06-2007, 10:01 PM
I tried taking pics, but couldn`t get them to come out clear enough to see the lines.

imageautodetail
10-06-2007, 10:08 PM
try finding a product that is called water spot and etching remover, I use ProKems, but there are several different ones on the market, they work well, but wear gloves.

imageautodetail
10-06-2007, 10:10 PM
Hi,

I ran across this site several months ago and have been coming back reading all the great detailing info you have posted. I`ve read thru the detailing guide (very informative) and still have a couple questions I hope to get answers to.

I have an `06 Nissan Titan with metallic black paint that has what I believe to be etching. I bought the truck new on a very stormy day. It was slightly dirty with road film. I didn`t notice the etching (?) until I started waxing it. It looks like very small water marks that have dried all on top and next to each other. The lines are very thin. It`s not like the big circular water marks that are left after a rain shower. It`s mostly on the hood and top. I use Meguiars NXT Generation paste wax and have used their cleaner wax. Still there. The sides of the truck are very glossy. The hood shines and looks good from a distance, but up close and especially at a certain angle it looks dull - like a film on it. It feels smooth to the touch. I`ve also tried the vinegar bath and have clayed with Mother`s Clay.

I`ve read about the Porter Cable polisher - (took a while to figure out what everyone meant by "PC"). I`m a little hesitant to use one. I know the detail info says they are safe to use, but I also hear things like clear coat is soft on Titans and paint is thin, can cause burn marks on paint. I would definately be afraid to use any abrasive pads or compounds on truck.

If anyone has any suggestions to what this may be and how to remove it for someone very reluctant to try anything drastic, please let me know.

Sorry for length of message.

Storm

actually, I would suggest that you have a pro do this if you do not feel comfortable doing this, post where you live and I am sure you will get referrals

Adam's Polishes
10-06-2007, 10:16 PM
actually, I would suggest that you have a pro do this if you do not feel comfortable doing this, post where you live and I am sure you will get referrals

Agreed... in most cases a good detailer will be more than willing to allow you to hang out, watch the process, and kinda teach you how to go about doing it yourself in the future if you`re interested. I always give my customers the option to stick around and learn if they want.

imageautodetail
10-06-2007, 10:25 PM
Agreed... in most cases a good detailer will be more than willing to allow you to hang out, watch the process, and kinda teach you how to go about doing it yourself in the future if you`re interested. I always give my customers the option to stick around and learn if they want.

Plus, if it is something you are not comfortable with or have done before this can be a tricky process, and a mistake could send you to the body shop. A professional has experience and if they screw it up, its there dime.

storm
10-08-2007, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the input. I still want to try posting pics to get official name to problem I`m dealing with. All this is new to me - if you can`t tell.

So I want to get a polisher. I`ve been reading differences between PC and Ultimate. Ultimate is faster, but more chance to burn paint - not possible with PC (is this true?).

Should a newbie who has only used one of those 10" really slow polisher/buffers start with PC? With no other problems than what I have on the hood, should I just get a PC and stick with it?

Thanks again,

Storm

phamkl
10-08-2007, 08:37 PM
The Ultimate Detailing Machine is perfect for a beginner. It`s a smooth operating machine, powerful, but still almost harmless. I`ve gotten my paint to the point it`s too hot to touch but that was working the same area, speed six, for about a minute straight, trying to get some water spot out. No burns!

Trust me, if you already know what to expect with the random orbital motion, you`ll be just fine with the UDM. It was my first machine so I would know!