PDA

View Full Version : u guys wash after claybar and after polish, before wax??

accuratecarcare
10-06-2007, 06:29 PM
today i had a car i was gonna do the works on.. wash, claybar, machine buff/polish, and wax

i figured it was a safe bet to wash after the claybar to remove any residue that might have been left over before i went on to polish it.. was that necessary or no? and then after i hit with the UDM and some compounds i wasnt sure whether i needed to wash it again before i waxed it...i did to play it safe, but now that i look back i probably could have just hit it with some quick detailer spray to clean it up before waxing.

what do u guys usually do, wash in between the steps? thanks!

Scottwax
10-06-2007, 06:36 PM
I don`t wash after claying, never seen a need to. If using Optimum polishes, I don`t rewash or QD because they don`t dust, but I have after using Meguiars and Menzerna.

DantheMan
10-06-2007, 07:18 PM
I usually wash twice, but never after claying.. Just rinse as I go. First wash I usually don`t even bother with the wheels/wells, etc.. Basically just prepping the paint.

a.k.a. Patrick
10-06-2007, 08:55 PM
Wash, clay before drying, polish, seal........

David Fermani
10-06-2007, 09:08 PM
I`ve noticed when doing heavy claying on rail dust, the clay lube on the surface looks really dirty(rusty). I`d bet a bunch of money that it`s abrasive, so in that application it would be a good idea to re-wash. You could get away with drying it, but might run the chance of not-needed marring. For light duty claying, I usually never re-wash.

accuratecarcare
10-07-2007, 01:58 AM
alright, sounds like ill pass on the wash in between unless theres a lot of nasty residue left over but seeing as how i buff it off after i clay each section i should be okay. thanks guys!

Bert
10-08-2007, 10:02 AM
Wash, clay before drying, polish, seal........

How do you prevent water spots? It seems like going so long without drying would cause water spotting? I guess polishing would take care of that though??

Pats300zx
10-08-2007, 11:24 AM
How do you prevent water spots? It seems like going so long without drying would cause water spotting? I guess polishing would take care of that though??

Just make sure that your not in the sun and keeping the car cool....

Bert
10-08-2007, 12:31 PM
Just make sure that your not in the sun and keeping the car cool....

That makes sense.

However, in the future, I think I am going to take IMAGEAUTODETAIL`s advice and wash and clay at the same time. I did that Saturday and it did speed things up quite a bit.