PDA

View Full Version : Hardened Spider Web?

element311
10-06-2007, 01:05 AM
A few weeks ago I noticed what I thought to be a spider web spanning along the top of my trunk in a straight line about 2 1/2 feet across. I ran my finger over a section of it to see if it would come off and it did, so I figured I would wait until I washed my car again to get it off. Well, a few days after the "web", or whatever it is, began to harden. Now the only way to get it off was to chip it off with my fingernail. I really didn`t have time to wash it so I waited until I finally could. By then it was impossible to get the web off, I tried rubbing it off with a wet microfiber towel to the point of micromarring a few places on my trunk pretty badly (which was stupid). I`m not as concerned with that as I am this long thing white line across the top of my black trunk. It looks like a giant key scratch from afar but it`s not, you can feel the line on top of the paint.

I am in desperate need of help. I believe it is a spider web, as it easily came off the first time I noticed it. Is there any way to get this darn thing off?

TTWAGN
10-06-2007, 04:29 AM
claybar would be ur best option.

Setec Astronomy
10-06-2007, 06:54 AM
Hmmm...seems perhaps Spiderman lives in your neighborhood! Yes, you can try clay, perhaps a mild solvent like IPA or bug and tar remover, or diluted APC (you will need to rewax after these). You can of course use a polish for this as well.

SpoiledMan
10-06-2007, 07:49 AM
It actually sounds like chewing gum.

Setec Astronomy
10-06-2007, 07:57 AM
It actually sounds like chewing gum.

Good call! So what do you suggest?

SpoiledMan
10-06-2007, 08:00 AM
A good chemical paint cleaner will likely take care of it. Dab some on and let it sit a couple minutes then apply a bit to an applicator and work over the area.

element311
10-07-2007, 12:58 AM
I have no idea what chemical paint cleaner is. Can I get it from Wal-Mart? I sort of can`t order anything online at the moment or I would have already gotten a bunch of stuff from this site.

hXc drummer23
10-07-2007, 01:02 AM
There was something like that on my girlfriend`s car. I used Zaino clay and that only reduced it. I then got out the PC and some Scratch-X and that worked.