PDA

View Full Version : Hard water stains on Windows

Smacktime
06-24-2005, 10:05 AM
Hi,
Jut found this great site.
I have just bought a 4 year old Lancer Evo 7. I bought it thru a mates company at the auctions here and after recieveing it i found that it has pretty dirty windows, so I tried cleaning them but nothing will get the satins out.
I have used compounds for windows etc etc but still the stains remain... This is giving me a huge headache as I should be enjoying having this car...not wanting to smash the windows! :angry

If any of you pro`s have any very very strong products that may remove these terrible stains, then i would love to hear from you...

Thanks

ps. stains are on all side windows, and from windscreen..

GregCavi
06-24-2005, 10:11 AM
Try using distilled white vinagear. I usually dilute mine 50/50 with water but if its bad you might want to go straight. You wont want to get this on your paint. If you get these clean you should follow up with a dedicated window cleaner like Stoners Invisible Glass.

Greg

chef paul
06-24-2005, 10:44 AM
hey man I feel your pain........I bought a BMW 323 ci and the side windows are a pain in the #$% but someone on this site advised me to get bartenders friend and use lots of waster for a rinse. You can buy it at walmart in the cleaning isle. I am going to try it this week. Love the car hate the windows

Bryce H.
06-24-2005, 12:04 PM
Try DuraGloss NuGlass. It is the only product that worked for me. I tried things like steel wool, vinegar mix, and a few other products but Nuglass is the only one that got the spots out for me. It takes a little work, but its worth it to me.

mtwedt
06-24-2005, 02:41 PM
I have not tried the Duragloss Nu-Glass, but I did have the same problem on my sunroof....water spots form hell. I tried vinegar, 0000 steelwool, BonAmi, Autoglym Glass Polish and the Diamondite Glass Clay system. None worked. I had instant sucess by simply claying the sunroof anfter claying the car. I used Sonus clay. I was thrilled to finally get the watermarks off, but rather fed up with myself for not trying such a simple approach with the clay I had already paid for and spending a fair chunk of money on other things. The clay, which you probably have or should purchase if you don`t for proper finish prep, the vinegar/steelwool and Bartender`s Friend are the cheapest routes to try. If you can`t get rid of them with those methods, I would give the Duragloss suggestion a try and let us know how you come out. Good luck...you have my complete sympathy...those watermarks drove me nuts until I finally got them off.

pogo123
06-24-2005, 03:49 PM
Some more suggestions here.

http://www.detailcity.com/showthread.php?t=12879

Smacktime
06-24-2005, 05:56 PM
Thanks alot everyone for the replies.
I should have mentioned that I am in Japan! So it will be difficult to get these products.
One I do know that I can get its the clay so I wil try that. I need it anyway, so if I don`t have any luck then I won`t have wasted my cash.

fingers crossed!

Smacktime
06-24-2005, 09:01 PM
Well tried the clay in one spot repeatedly and no budging at all.
Seems as though these spots are firmly etched into the windows.
I got a tiny bit off by hand with a compound so i will have to try it out with my newly purchased buffer. Might have better luck with machine power...

Rollin Thunder
06-25-2005, 05:28 PM
When I come across a car with bad water stains on the glass I use a glass polish if there really bad, but for minimal spotting or spots that aren`t too deep in the glass a lot of glass cleaner preferably a foaming cleaning and 000 or 0000 steal wool in a back and forth up and down motion. Usually does the trick and doesn`t scratch the glass.

Bell
06-25-2005, 06:15 PM
Clay won`t remove them, don`t ever use steel wool on glass and instead of trying to abrade away the spots try dissolving them.

They are mineral spots so use wheel acid, full strength. Dip a rag, terry cloth rag, into the wheel acid and rub it on the glass. Wash and rinse well after.

Coastal Eddie
06-26-2005, 07:27 PM
Hi,
Jut found this great site.
I have just bought a 4 year old Lancer Evo 7. I bought it thru a mates company at the auctions here and after recieveing it i found that it has pretty dirty windows, so I tried cleaning them but nothing will get the satins out.
I have used compounds for windows etc etc but still the stains remain... This is giving me a huge headache as I should be enjoying having this car...not wanting to smash the windows! :angry

If any of you pro`s have any very very strong products that may remove these terrible stains, then i would love to hear from you...

Thanks

ps. stains are on all side windows, and from windscreen..

I haven`t run into the problem for awhile, but I`ve had good luck with Griot`s Glass Polish in the past. I had a windshield one time that was spotted so bad that it looked etched and literally had to use their glass polish on a machine. It took some time but the window came out great. :)

Smacktime
06-27-2005, 09:56 AM
Managed to try the buffer with the compound that I had. Seems to be coming off (no way hand could get this stuff off). Tomorrow I got 2 hrs in the am free so hopefully by the end of that they will be clean as..

Cheers for all your suggestions!

Woob
06-27-2005, 10:04 AM
BarKeeper`s Friend? SSRs via PC?

Coastal Eddie
06-27-2005, 10:09 AM
Managed to try the buffer with the compound that I had. Seems to be coming off (no way hand could get this stuff off). Tomorrow I got 2 hrs in the am free so hopefully by the end of that they will be clean as..

Cheers for all your suggestions!

Glad to hear that, good for you!!

I haven`t given it a fair shot yet, but I think Pro Polish would work as well.