PDA

View Full Version : Any hope for fixing plastic window?

Grimm
10-05-2007, 01:15 PM
I have another question about my classic Oldsmobile. It`s a convertible and has a plastic rear window. And due to the years of the top being put down folding the window, it is in terrible shape as far as surface marring. Is there any chance of restoring this kind of plastic? I`m guessing not, but thought I would see if anyone out there has been able to restore one.

JasonD
10-05-2007, 02:13 PM
I don`t know about soft plastic like your rear window, but on hard clear pastics a product called Novus Polish does an amazing job. I have used it to remove everything from hazing to deep scratches with great results.

novuspolish (http://www.novuspolish.com/)

todd@bsaw
10-05-2007, 02:16 PM
You have to use something very different for soft plastic than hard plastic.

I`m sure if you do a search you could possibly find something, otherwise the headlight resto kit I bought from Rightlook had a soft plastic refinishing chemical that has worked for me on convertible windows.

It takes a bit of work, however, so I`d just recommend replacing it if that is an option.

JasonD
10-05-2007, 02:27 PM
I just looked on the Novus site and in the "Uses" section they specifically list collapsible windows on convertibles and sport utility vehicles as an intended use, so you should do just fine with that polish. Check it out.

Grimm
10-05-2007, 03:53 PM
Sounds good, thanks. The top is probably 20 years old and really needs to be replaced anyway, but it looks presentable and I have it down 90% of the time anyway so I figured I would just see if I can at least make the window look a little better. It`s pretty much impossible to see out of if it`s at all dark.