PDA

View Full Version : WD-40 VS Sap

cjbigcog
10-04-2007, 09:57 PM
After reading a lot of posts on dealing with tree sap , here`s what worked for me.

The latest car I`m detailing was covered with small bits of sap from front to back. Most of it was old,and baked on. Nothing I tried would soften it enough to wipe off. So...after trying 3M adhesive remover and Stoners Tarminator, I tried spraying a panel with WD-40 and letting it sit for a few minutes. Then I carefully used a plastic razor blade to remove the blobs. It worked great! As I worked one panel, I sprayed the next one to give the WD-40 time to penetrate. What I like about WD-40 is that it doesn`t evaporate quickly, so it has time to work.

PRB
10-04-2007, 10:44 PM
Some people complain that it`s old fashioned, but I know of nothing that works better in such situations.

a.k.a. Patrick
10-04-2007, 11:13 PM
Ive been preaching WD-40`s benefits for many years............Should be in everyones arsenal.

It is the ultimate exterior *crud* remover..........even shoe scuffs.

imported_rydawg
10-05-2007, 12:16 AM
wd-40 removes tar stains also. It even removes grease from paint perfect. It has a million and one uses. I use it for everything but a lubricant.

SpoiledMan
10-05-2007, 12:23 AM
I use it for everything but a lubricant.

Why? Does it smoke???:grinno:

JohnZ3MC
10-05-2007, 01:45 AM
A benefit I`ve come to respect is the fact it isn`t super toxic to the body. In fact, some use it to ease arthritis and sore joints if you can believe that.

A couple of weeks ago I had some nasty crack sealing deck coating stuff glued onto my fingers and I was reluctant to try the suggested ketone or lacquer thinner removers because of possible liver/spleen/organ damage. I thought I`d try WD-40 first even though I thought it wouldn`t work.

Yup, it worked. Within minutes my hands were clean as a whistle and my spleen survived admirably.

I love WD-40.

salty
10-05-2007, 04:13 AM
WD-40 is 50% Stoddard solvent. Which is why it works on grease and tar. Stoddard Solvent is also in a lot of waxes we use.

White spirit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_spirit)

salty
10-05-2007, 04:22 AM
Is it good for you, probably not, but must be better than lacquer thinner.