PDA

View Full Version : Getting Tape Residue Off of Trim?

toml
10-04-2007, 07:50 PM
When the windshield repair folks replaced the upper windshield molding on my car last week, they used a lime green tape (3M?) that left a good amount of residue on the trim. In the spots they didn`t tape, I had put some blue 3M 14-day tape down which left no residue. Go figure.

Anyway, I think I used VM (no luck) and then AIO to remove the residue. Using a terry cloth towel wasn`t a smart move; a foam pad was better. Anyway, I got it all off, but it took a LOT of effort and time.

Well, the windshield folks revisited their repair job today because the molding wasn`t flush against the roof in a number of spots. This time, they used some sort of orange tape which I need to leave on for 24-48 hours. I hope I`m not going to have to deal with tape residue again, but just in case I do, what have you all found to be the easiest way of getting that stuff off?

BigJimZ28
10-04-2007, 07:54 PM
WD-40 will take care of it

imageautodetail
10-04-2007, 08:11 PM
beware of methods that may work fine on paint, many bug/tar/residue removers will turn plastic white

jasonrs2
10-04-2007, 08:13 PM
hmmm.. this brings up an old issue i never took care of. some jokester decided it would be funny to spray silly string on my car and actually ruined the black trim around the windows of my scion tc. you can see the old marks where the string was - it`s like a lighter black. and the guy that buffed my car didnt tape off the trim and scratched it all up. is there any way to remove these imperfections?

toml
10-04-2007, 08:23 PM
WD-40 will take care of it

Thanks. Will this react with the trim in any way? Would applying it to an old t-shirt and then using the t-shirt on the trim work or is there a better way?

BigJimZ28
10-04-2007, 08:35 PM
Thanks. Will this react with the trim in any way? Would applying it to an old t-shirt and then using the t-shirt on the trim work or is there a better way?

it should be fine but as usual do a test spot first

that`s the best way spray it on a rag and let it sit for min.

it will dissolve it then wipe it up

imageautodetail
10-04-2007, 09:40 PM
hmmm.. this brings up an old issue i never took care of. some jokester decided it would be funny to spray silly string on my car and actually ruined the black trim around the windows of my scion tc. you can see the old marks where the string was - it`s like a lighter black. and the guy that buffed my car didnt tape off the trim and scratched it all up. is there any way to remove these imperfections?

I think your best bet on something like this would be to mask off the car and re dye the trim