PDA

View Full Version : Mothers vs. Clay Magic

LastDetail
06-23-2005, 08:20 PM
Hey you guys, I just got done with detailing a full sized Tahoe, (pictures to be posted soon), and for a change I decided to use the Clay Magic system.
Now normally I am a die-hard Mothers user, however I was at Kragen and they were out of the Mothers Clay. Drat! So I got the Clay Magic and was on my way.
First I will list the pros as I see them
Clay Magic:
1) Cheaper
2) Easier to spot when it needs to be kneaded

Mothers:
1) Easier to work with and knead
2) pulls more contaminant from the paint with less work

Cons
Clay Magic:
1) entirely too sticky, I had to wash my hands a couple times before I got all the gunk off
2) very very difficult to knead and make flat

Mothers
1) more expensive than clay magic (I think about twice the cost)
2) The quick detailing for some reason gives me heartburn I have no idea why, its not like im drinking the stuff or anything but every time I use it I get HORRIBLE heartburn.

Anyway thats my opinion on those two, I`m going back to mothers I was not impressed with the clay magic and I feel that the extra $9-$10 is justified. (Along with a couple rolls of rolaids)

Way2SSlow
06-24-2005, 08:57 AM
For the extra cash, you may want to consider clay from Poorboys or Adams. I used the Adam`s clay this past weekend for the first time and I was amazed at how easy it was to kneed, and how well it worked. I`ve used Clay magic and Mothers, but have been using clay magic as of late because of the price. I`ve got quite few of those little carnauba clear wax bottles that come with the Mothers Clay. I use it on my guitars. It`d be AWESOME if they put a little bottle of Power Polish in there instead of cleaner wax.

I like the Mothers clay better, but not enough to spend the extra $5 that I could spend on Gatorade to chug while I am actually using the clay. :D