PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive Rust remover

FLAteam
10-02-2007, 09:38 AM
Hi guys, I think my car was driven up north or was there for a bit but now since the car is gonna stay in Florida, I was wondering what product I could use to get rid of the bit of rust that is on my car. Its mostly surface rust on my steel wheels, lower control arms and other suspension components. I`d prefer not to buy those $50 products and I don`t believe I`ll need to super rust-proof my car.

Thanks.

inov8ter
10-02-2007, 09:41 AM
You could try steel wool on stuff other than painted surfaces. that might work.

Accumulator
10-02-2007, 12:35 PM
Might be the "$50 product" you don`t want to get into, but Eastwood`s Rust Encapsulator is my #1 choice for slightly rusty stuff, especially suspension pieces. The black version dries to a semi-flat finish that looks like primer and you can topcoat it with RustOleum if you like (the two are compatible IME).

FLAteam
10-02-2007, 01:51 PM
Eastwood Co. - Eastwood Rust Encapsulator Black Aerosol 16 oz (http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=1134&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=1208&iSubCat=1208&iProductID=1134)

is it this? is this the only product i would have to use? and is there any other place to get it other than the product website?

Accumulator
10-02-2007, 06:17 PM
FLAteam- Yeah, that`s it, but I use the non-aerosol and brush it on. You`ll need something to clean the surface before applying, but that`s it (no need for any special prep, rust converter, etc. IME). That`s the only place to get it but you can call if online ordering doesn`t suit you.

FLAteam
10-02-2007, 06:44 PM
hm...that`s a good idea. i think i`ll go with the non-aerosol pint. so you just use a paint brush or something? what do you use to clean the surface?

stuart hicks
10-02-2007, 07:09 PM
I use navel jelly on chrome wheels.

Have for decades. $6 at home depot or lowe`s.

Never tried on painted wheels though.

FLAteam
10-02-2007, 07:35 PM
navel jelly, huh? after a little research, it looks like its some strong stuff, maybe even hurting rubber components of cars. Only used it on wheels, huh?

Accumulator
10-03-2007, 11:37 AM
hm...that`s a good idea. i think i`ll go with the non-aerosol pint. so you just use a paint brush or something? what do you use to clean the surface?

Yeah, most any brush will work fine. The stuff "flows out" well as it dries so brushmarks aren`t a huge issue.

I degrease with citrus stuff first and then wipe down with a solvent (PrepSol, etc.). If there`s a lot of rust I`ll wirebrush it down and rewipe with the solvent. You could try a rust converter/remover but IMO it`s not absolutely mandatory the way it is with regular paint.

Do a few coats, two oughta be OK, but three gives me peace of mind. I think you`ll find it easy stuff to work with, so don`t let that put you off. And even just one coat is a whole lot better than anything else I`ve tried (including POR-15).

reefer_bob
10-03-2007, 05:38 PM
I`ve always used a product called "rust mort" with excellent sucess. Not sure about painted surfaces, but give it a look.