PDA

View Full Version : First Time Detail - 02 Legacy GT Wagon (In Progress)

cshorey
10-01-2007, 06:04 PM
Hello all,

Thanks for all the info and help over the last few months. I finally got to put all my learning’s and orders to use. Unfortunately I didn’t finish due to the rain :cry: , but I wanted to document my process and get any feedback (I am open to constructive criticism as I want to learn). The car is my wife’s 2002 Subaru Legacy GT (Silver). I debated which forum to put this in as for me I am really not bragging, but it seems more appropriate here, due to how I wrote it up.

Here was my process and tools used for as far as I got:

Pressure Wash Car and Wheels

Clean Wheels and Tires

- Meg’s Hot Rim’s cleaner

- Meg’s Gold Class Two Bucket

- Meg’s Wheel Face Brush

- Meg’s Wheel Spoke Brush

- Meg’s Tire Brush

Pressure Wash Car and Wheels

Wash and Dry

- Meg’s Gold Class Two Bucket

- Meg’s Camille Wash Mitt

- Sheet Water

- Meg’s MF WW

Clay

- Meg’s Clay (until dropped on ground)

- Mothers Clay

- Meg’s Quick Detailer

Polish

- PC

- 1Z Paint Polish on 4” Green Lake County CCS Pad (Hood and drivers side fender)

- 1Z Metallic Polish with Wax on 4” White Lake County CCS Pad (Hood)

Wax

- Collinite no. 845 (Hood) on 4” Black Lake County CCS Pad (Hood)

Hood before wash:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1042/1468458194_199f32a86c_b.jpg

Hood after wash:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1369/1467691853_711089aefc_b.jpg

Hood after polish and wax:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1124/1468618750_1896ac396a_b.jpg

Driver side fender after wash and clay:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1413/1468601008_591e350b9a_b.jpg

Driver side fender after polish:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1043/1467767029_eb258eef90_b.jpg

Scratch that I didn’t get out after going over it 3 times with PP on a green pad:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1076/1467773431_b0fc6e10cd_b.jpg

Impressions and comments:

So I was originally going to tackle my car, but opted at the last minute to work on my wife’s. I have never even washed her car. We have only owned it for two years (we bought it used). I inspected the car (mostly hood) with my halogen and didn’t find any obvious maring, but there were lots of specs of something and water spots. I also didn’t see many scratches.

Well after washing I uncovered a bunch of hidden marks, scratches and the specs and water spots weren’t really removed. I really didn’t plan on claying, but realized it was needed and well it was. Though again I dropped my clay :wall (did it when claying my car). That was my last Meg’s clay bar so I ended up using the last one I had which was a mother’s clay bar I had. I am guessing the mothers must have been more aggressive then the meg’s as it took off a lot more stuff the meg’s wasn’t, and it was doing it with less effort (due to this I tried to be extra careful and make sure everything was nicely lubed). So I doubled back over parts of the car. I ended up spending a lot of time claying the roof as it collected a ton of black dots along the roof rails. Claying really killed my time, but it was good for me to do it again (only second time using clay)

After that I finally got to polish I worked the hood and a mark on the drivers side fender. This is only my second time using my PC on a car and my first time using a polish. I think it went well. So far I am pleased. I was surprised how easy it went and really I think the 1Z polishes were easy to work with, though I don’t really have much to compare them to yet. I used 1Z Paint Polish on the entire hood using a green CCS pad. And 1Z Metallic Polish with Wax on a white pad. I was impressed with how it took out the mark on the fender (pictured above). I think the hood came out pretty well considering my experience level. There was another scratch on the fender I worked with PP on the green pad about 3 times and it’s no where near as noticeable, but still there. Any recommendations on where I should go with that scratch (final picture. Sorry not the best)? Is it too deep? Should I go to a more aggressive pad? A more aggressive polish?

Waxing went fairly well. I used collinite no 845. I used a 4” black CCS pad. I think next time I want to try a larger pad to see if waxing with a larger pad is easier. I was a little unsure how long to wax for. With polishing it seemed easier since I worked it until it broke down (I hope I didn’t over work it).

When I realized I was running out of daylight I wanted to go all the way to waxing which is why I finished the hood. I still have a lot to do so I was hoping to get out there Sunday and nope, Rain, Rain Rain (I don`t have a usable garage for detailing). Still I thought it went well and am already watching for a window in the weather to get back out there and finish it up.

Not the best pictures I could have taken, I just got the Digital SLR and am trying to learn that as well. (I have more pictures and larger sizes)

Any feedback and suggestions welcome. I am looking to learn and improve.

chris

whitejavaS500
10-01-2007, 06:49 PM
Awsome work man!! Off to a great start.

mr.ikon
10-01-2007, 07:38 PM
Thats some nice results. Too bad it looks very cloudy. I would love to see some sun shots.

Accumulator
10-01-2007, 07:38 PM
cshorey- Glad to hear/see that it turned out so nice!

I responded to your PM regarding the nasty scratch.

On the 845, the only downside to "working" it is that you might effect a solvent action on the stuff that the 1ZMP leaves behind. There`s really no need to work the 845 at all, just put it on the vehicle, let it dry, then buff it off. Try for an even application, but that`s all that really matters; so you spread the wax around for a little while to ensure you get that even application and then just let it dry.

cshorey
10-01-2007, 08:23 PM
Thanks

mr.ikon - I will get some sun shots when I see the sun again. It was an overcast day, but worked out for me being outside and detailing.

Accumulator - Thanks for the PM and the 845 info. I probably spread it too long. I was just in the polishing mode so my mind was telling me I needed to work it, but I knew I really didn`t. I am planning on throwing more coats on, so I hopefully will do a better job.

chris