PDA

View Full Version : Instead of degreasing, I greased my jambs up today

pingable
09-30-2007, 09:18 PM
Before I know it, thanksgiving will be here and then 2008.

So I decided to do a little maint on my part today.

I ran out of my tub of white grease and the local autpoparts store only had the spray variant.

On what a gawd damm bloddy mess those sprayers are no matter how careful or easy i hit the trigger or hold a towel next to the point of application.

It`s fine as once the solvent in the grease dries off, it should have worked it`s way into the hinges and latches, etc quite nicely.

I`ll come around to degreasing/spray wax next week.

So for those that have not use white grease in the spray cans, tread lightly ;-)

BlueLibby04
09-30-2007, 09:28 PM
So you usually use a tube of grease and ran out?

I use Silicone spray on my hinges. Works out great and Ive never had a problem with over spray. Liquid wrench is the best brand and Ive only been able to find it at AutoZone.

pingable
09-30-2007, 09:35 PM
I have had a can/tub of white grease.

Not a tube ;-)

A little goes a loooooong way.

I prefer white lithium grease on metal2metal contact.

BigJimZ28
09-30-2007, 10:32 PM
put the spray tube on it and it will be fine!

RDAVEX7
09-30-2007, 11:03 PM
I used the spray stuff today for the first time, It gets evry where even when trying to be careful. Seems to work though.

My5ABaby
10-01-2007, 06:45 AM
I`m new here so this may not be a big secret, but never ever use WD-40 to lube anything. Despite what the can says, it`s NOT a proper lubricant.

BlueLibby04
10-01-2007, 11:19 AM
I dont use WD-40 for anything but cleaning and or corrosion. Its not a lube, its not a penetrating lube..

I used White lithium on my door catches and it actually made it worse. Idk if that stuff isnt made for plastic or what, but I had to remove as much as I could and use silicone spray.

My door catches are metal coated in plastic. They let the door open so far then bottom out. Not sure how to explain it other than that.

White lithium is great for metal to metal contact, but Ive never had any problems with Silicone and it doesnt make a mess.

*I meant to say tub, sorry. :)

RDAVEX7
10-01-2007, 08:06 PM
Water Displacment.......use for stuff like removing water off distributers and stuff.

My5ABaby
10-02-2007, 06:05 AM
Water Displacment.......use for stuff like removing water off distributers and stuff.

Yup, it`s pretty useless for most everything else in my opinion.

Btw, what kind of 7 do you have? I have an 86 (Sapphire Blue Metallic, hence the 5A paint code).

RDAVEX7
10-02-2007, 08:04 PM
I have a black 88 gtu and a red 90 convertable both with original paint that I need to attend to. Thats mainly why I registered here. I started a dull red paint thread but nobody seems interested. Same question over and over I guess. But after doing some serious searching I think I have a plan of attack. Are you on rx7 club or team fc3s?

My5ABaby
10-03-2007, 06:22 AM
I have a black 88 gtu and a red 90 convertable both with original paint that I need to attend to. Thats mainly why I registered here. I started a dull red paint thread but nobody seems interested. Same question over and over I guess. But after doing some serious searching I think I have a plan of attack. Are you on rx7 club or team fc3s?

I`m on both but rarely get on FC3S. My name is the same on RX7Club. On FC3S... it`s either this or My5A.