PDA

View Full Version : Which tape for masking

imported_RedlineIRL
09-30-2007, 06:06 PM
I`ve seen that people use blue tape and green painters tape for masking. Is there much difference between the two? Does one have less tack than the other?

BigAl3
09-30-2007, 06:19 PM
i use both the blue & green 3m painters tape, the only difference is you can get a smaller width with the green, like such below. as far as residue afterwards, i haven`t really noticed a difference. just remember to peel real slow when taking it off...

http://www.metallicmart.com/ProductImages/homepage/green_.25.jpg

corvettecrazy
09-30-2007, 06:23 PM
I only use the blue tape....I`ve had paint peel with the green painters tape.

Old Pirate
09-30-2007, 07:12 PM
I use the low tack 3m blue tape.

SVR
09-30-2007, 08:44 PM
low adhesive 3M blue tape here too.

Greg Nichols
09-30-2007, 09:00 PM
I use the Green, I have not noticed a difference in performance b/t the blue and green and the green is cheaper by about a 1-2$ per roll.

toml
10-01-2007, 12:57 AM
I had the upper windshield molding replaced on my Accord. Warranty job but the dealer didn`t tell me what was involved (for example, taking out the windshield), and the repair job is worse than what I started with. They`re going to try round #2 this week.

But back to the tape. The dealer`s windshield repair contractor used 2" green tape in two long strips to secure the molding to the windshield and roof of the car. I used my blue 3M 14 day tape to cover the remainder of the molding. When I took them off a day later, the green tape left a nasty residue on the trim that took me nearly an hour to get off. The blue ... none.

My vote is the 14 day blue.

imported_fishbonezken
10-01-2007, 02:19 AM
I`ve got a question about the blue tape.

If I were to do a test spot and split a panel into two using the blue tape, and polish a panel where my foam pad will touch the tape. Will the tape leave behind sticky hardened residue when I remove the tape?

thanks in advance

SpoiledMan
10-01-2007, 07:53 AM
I`ve got a question about the blue tape.

If I were to do a test spot and split a panel into two using the blue tape, and polish a panel where my foam pad will touch the tape. Will the tape leave behind sticky hardened residue when I remove the tape?

thanks in advance

Not in my experience. I`ve used both blue and green and have bought and used nothing but blue in the last 8-10 years with no problems.

DantheMan
10-01-2007, 03:37 PM
I use both.. Can`t say that I`ve had problems with either.

Ralliart16
10-01-2007, 04:42 PM
i`ve used both. The green tape seems to have a stronger adhesive / stickier