PDA

View Full Version : Rotary and Pad questions?

czwsecurity
06-22-2005, 08:02 PM
Hello everyone
I have been using a B+D rotary with wool and synthetic wool pads for a few years. I feel the most comfortable with them and usually complete the job (rid micromarring and any holograms) with a foam polishing pad. (favorite combos are ssr2.5 and ssr1 or IP+SP2) I have been having some issues with foam pads such as severe buffer hop at speeds between 900 and 1600rpms (primed pad or not and sun or shade or not). I have seen on a few sites sheepskin polish/finish pads as well as "spaghetti style" foam pads that are supposed to mimic the wool feel without the cutting and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with either or possibly a better idea or process for finishing??
thanx folks

Koop
06-22-2005, 08:25 PM
The B & D is pretty light isn`t it? Have you tried using a little presure? You should not be getting bounce with a good flat foam pad.

czwsecurity
06-22-2005, 08:31 PM
Yes, I have tried more and less pressure. My black and decker rotary is about 5 years old and still works wonderfully. Im really looking for an alternative to foam for micromarring removal. I may try the sheepskin or spaghetti foam but I was hoping for a review or 2 before buying. I feel much more comfortable with wool and 50/50 pads.

wifehatescar
06-23-2005, 07:13 AM
Im really looking for an alternative to foam for micromarring removal.

A LC finishing pad and a fine polish will remove micromarring and should not hop, try it at 1200rpm.

Koop
06-23-2005, 08:20 PM
I wish I could watch you buff. I`ve never really heard of someone having hopping issues unless one of the following is the case:
The pad is not centered
Too much or too little pressure is being used
The pad is not kept flat on the paint or the angle of attack is too great.
I don`t think it is an issue with your buffer, and I always encourage people to try new products to find what they like, but just about everyone you talk to here loves foam pads. I`d really recomend letting them have another spin (pun intended ;))

czwsecurity
06-23-2005, 09:01 PM
I certainly wont argue that I need alot more practice with the foam pads, old habits really die hard. I did order a few sheepskin polishing pads to try out, they are supposed to give a a wool feel with little to no cut. I have a few new LC white polishing pads I will try to practice with also.
thanx folks

NYV6Coupe
06-24-2005, 12:38 PM
One of this forums sponsors has the 8" LC "spaghetti" type pads (orange for cutting & blue for finishing) & he`s selling them for $5 ea. I`ve used this pads (my first time with a rotary) on a 7" flexible backing plate and did not have any problems with hop, hologramming, or paint damage.

Very satisfying results & I was too chicken to attempt using a wool pad the first time.

Sponsors name is ScottP at www.specialtymotoring.com

TraderB
06-24-2005, 05:06 PM
NYV6Coupe,
Where can I find these "spagetti" pads listed on the Specialty Motoring website?

Woob
06-24-2005, 07:04 PM
PM Scott. I`m pretty sure from that report I really want a rotary!

czwsecurity
06-24-2005, 09:40 PM
Thank you everyone for the suggestions, I think NYV6Coupe is talking about the pads Scott has for sale in his part of the detail city forums ( scratch and dent thread). Certainly worth an email as Scott has an excellent reputation here.

NYV6Coupe
06-25-2005, 12:50 PM
The pads are not listed on his site, you have to contact ScottP directly

Here`s the DC thread

http://www.detailcity.com/showthread.php?t=12769

Alextab
07-04-2005, 09:45 AM
sheepskin polish finish pads and spaghetti style pads? I was under the impression these types of pads or for compounding, because of there heavy cutting abiltys. I did some research online to answer my own quetion but no luck.

Thanks
A new guy that really needs help understanding this stuff

Woob
07-04-2005, 09:08 PM
sheepskin polish? (Sheepskin is the material in mitts). Finish pads are just lighter. Spaghetti style is just referring to the pads ScottP @ SMP has, which are the Durafoam Tufted pads.

czwsecurity
07-07-2005, 10:41 PM
Thanx to all for the suggestions. I did try out a few of the sheepskin polishing pads and I found them very easy to work with especially with my new favorite polish (the new DP finishing polish is just terrific) They have a nice feel and glide very easily while leaving a nice surface. My only issue with them is they are flat (no edges to surroung the backing plate) so saying to be careful with them is an understatement. As far as my foam polishing pads, more practice for me is an order :)
thanx
Mark