PDA

View Full Version : How do i correctly use P21S paint cleanser?

dukenukem
09-29-2007, 09:37 PM
I have tried to use the product twice now with spectacular failure. A lot of people raved about how good it is and how easy to use this stuff is so i am left wondering what the heck am i doing wrong?!?! :confused:

Here is what i did:

I washed and dried my car and left it in my garage till sunset for everything to cool down till after sunset. The car was cool to touch when i applied the P21S. I used Sonus applicator pads to apply it. The thing despite being liquid just didn`t want to go on the car evenly and after i let it sit for 5 mins the thing wont come off. I have to now wash my car all over again to remove the damn thing.

What am i doing wrong here or does the product just suck ?

Brian_Brice
09-29-2007, 09:41 PM
I`ve only used it twice, and still have 98% full bottle.

It worked well for me by hand and pc at low speed and polishing pad, very easy to remove. I think i worked it in by hand pretty good before wiping it off. IIRC it`s just a cleaner so no need to let it dwell on your paint.

JasonD
09-29-2007, 09:42 PM
First of all, welcome to Autopia!

If you are "applying" P21S Paint Cleanser, this is your problem. This product is a polish and is designed to be worked in like shoe polish, not applied like wax.

If you haven`t done so yet, take some time to read through the Guide To Detailing. It will take you step by step through the detailing process.

http://autopia.org/forum/guide-detailing/

shakashaunz
09-29-2007, 09:46 PM
I just used it today before I tried out my new Victoria wax. I use a gray finishing pad with a few spritzes of water to moisen it, make 1-2 passes at speed 4 and wipe off right away. Do not let it dry.

dukenukem
09-29-2007, 10:15 PM
Aah .. guess i should wipe on and wipe off, working one each section at a time. Thanks all :)

Also, how "thick" a coat should i apply ?

Brian_Brice
09-29-2007, 10:18 PM
Throw the word thick our of your vocab. As i stated, I have used it on two cars, and used less than an ounce per vehicle.

94BlkStang
09-29-2007, 10:27 PM
Aah .. guess i should wipe on and wipe off, working one each section at a time. Thanks all :)

Also, how "thick" a coat should i apply ?

It needs to be worked into the paint as it`s a polish. It doesn`t have much correction ability but it leaves a nice surface to apply an LSP after you`ve thouroughly worked the product. If by hand it`s going to take some elbow grease and if by machine, I would spread it at 4 and then finish with it at 5-6 and then buff off. Do a panel at a time.

imported_Puckman
09-29-2007, 10:36 PM
I use to use it as a glaze i.e. just before LSP. It does brighten up the finish a bit but because it isn`t compatible with sealants I stopped using it. Definately a wipe on wipe off method and I did sections at a time. Try it again after the advice from these guys. You might come to love the stuff.

dukenukem
09-29-2007, 10:43 PM
Thanks for all the help guys! Very much appreciate all your help and the complete lack of "zOMG!! YOU N00B" replies ! Will try and fix my mistakes once my allergies go down. Damn ragweed :\

purplenurple
09-29-2007, 11:09 PM
I have some of this, but havent used it yet. It is not compatible with sealants? If I do a IPA/Water wipedown, would it be fine to use a sealant?

Thanks.

kster
09-30-2007, 09:20 AM
I have some of this, but havent used it yet. It is not compatible with sealants? If I do a IPA/Water wipedown, would it be fine to use a sealant?

Thanks.

I haven`t used it myself but others have said it contains oils which cause bonding problems with sealants.

JasonD
09-30-2007, 05:06 PM
If you do a IPA/Water wipedown, that *should* remove all of the oils left behind on the surface which would make it ready for a sealant.

saralee
10-02-2007, 08:14 PM
How does the P21S Paint Cleanser compare to Zaino Z5 in terms of removing swirls and scratches?