PDA

View Full Version : Tire Dressings: Gel or liquids

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

imageautodetail
09-29-2007, 06:11 PM
for quite some time now I have been using a product called Super Shine tire and molding gel dressing by ProKem. I started using it because it did not sling, and lasted quite long. Recently it has seemed to have started slinging all over the place, I asked my rep about it and he said same formula....well whatever, but I am not going to keep hitting my self in the head with a hammer. So I am looking for suggestions for something new to try, I do not want a high dollar 16oz bottle of product, I want a good product that is fairly glossy(gel seems to be almost to much for my tastes now)that will last thru atleast one rain, and can be purchased by the gallon. Also what are some other true test applicators, I have strictly used the bell shaped foam applicators, which work great on most tires, but I have been cranking thru SUV`s as of late, and rugged tires eat up the foam.

Thanks

Brian_Brice
09-29-2007, 06:22 PM
I can`t stand otc gels, theyre very messy if you plan on taking care of the vehicle regularly. I also think they look pretty bad after a few days, very dull, whereas water or petroleum based dressings don`t.

Old Pirate
09-29-2007, 06:34 PM
I`m always looking for something new to use on tires, right now i`m using RL tire and trim dressing. It`s ok but would like to find something better.

imported_themightytimmah
09-29-2007, 06:51 PM
I`ve never found a tire dressing that was perfect, but the closest I`ve come is TOL Grape. It needs a few minutes of drying not to sling, but it does survive quite a while and the look is second to none. It`s like 15 bucks a gallon I think.

imageautodetail
09-29-2007, 07:16 PM
I`ve never found a tire dressing that was perfect, but the closest I`ve come is TOL Grape. It needs a few minutes of drying not to sling, but it does survive quite a while and the look is second to none. It`s like 15 bucks a gallon I think.

I still have a 1/2 gallon, that is what i used before i got hooked on the gel product i have been using, time to switch back???

imported_bigfoot
09-29-2007, 07:17 PM
I`m always looking for something new to use on tires, right now i`m using RL tire and trim dressing. It`s ok but would like to find something better.

RL meaning? Rightlook?:confused:

imported_JoshVette
09-29-2007, 07:23 PM
I like Meg`s Hyper Shine, you can buy it in a gallon and it`s water based and you can mix it to be more shiny or less shiny.

I like it as a 3:1 ratio. I apply it with a mitt and wipe it in good so it doesn`t sling. I don`t have slinging issues, but I`m sure if I spray it on too thick and don`t wipe it in it would sling?

Josh

Old Pirate
09-29-2007, 07:24 PM
Yes RL is Right Look, sorry for being lazy to spell it out.

imageautodetail
09-29-2007, 07:58 PM
I like Meg`s Hyper Shine, you can buy it in a gallon and it`s water based and you can mix it to be more shiny or less shiny.

I like it as a 3:1 ratio. I apply it with a mitt and wipe it in good so it doesn`t sling. I don`t have slinging issues, but I`m sure if I spray it on too thick and don`t wipe it in it would sling?

JoshEverytime I go into mirror glaze I eyeball HD, I will have to give it a try

P1et
09-29-2007, 08:08 PM
Personally, I use AA Tire Gel. That in itself slings, but I put it on lightly and then top with Poorboys Natural Look. Great look and no sling.

todd@bsaw
09-29-2007, 08:42 PM
Yes RL is Right Look, sorry for being lazy to spell it out.

I also use their Tire and Trim Dressing, but they recently made another `high shine` formula that is almost half the price (green color), though they claim it has a short durability.

I bought a gallon to compare it to their original (mostly to see if I could save costs) and I didn`t notice a better gloss and it definitely did not last as long.

From my experience with RL products, I love their old Tire and Trim Dressing (blue color). On my weekly wash clients, even after a couple rains, the protection and shine is still there even up to a month or longer. However, compared to some other tire dressings out there, there isn`t much of a shine.

a.k.a. Patrick
09-29-2007, 09:06 PM
Another real good and versatile gel is Four Stars Ultimate Tire Gel. I like using it on exterior plastic pieces as well....

Old Pirate
09-29-2007, 09:15 PM
Yes i have the Right Look Blue one, it work pretty good after a few rain storms but loses its shine in a few weeks , i still have 3/4 full gallon of it. I use it on a friend`s car and he loves it so much that he will buy about half of my gallon..I`m always looking for new stuff to try out.

gto78
09-29-2007, 09:40 PM
Has anyone tried Wheel wax extreme black? Also how bout Meguiar`s Endurance gel. I have both, and the wheel wax goes on real easy and dries with a natural finish, lasts almost two weeks- doesn`t sling. The Meguiar`s gel is semi gloss but will sling if I don`t wipe it down completely in between the treads- and lasts much longer. I want a high gloss liquid that doesn`t sling- dries quickly, and can be layered.

imageautodetail
09-30-2007, 08:09 AM
Has anyone tried Wheel wax extreme black? Also how bout Meguiar`s Endurance gel. I have both, and the wheel wax goes on real easy and dries with a natural finish, lasts almost two weeks- doesn`t sling. The Meguiar`s gel is semi gloss but will sling if I don`t wipe it down completely in between the treads- and lasts much longer. I want a high gloss liquid that doesn`t sling- dries quickly, and can be layered.

Megs end gel, if you just put it on it will have a nice look to it but will sling, if you wipe it, it will not sling , but then looses its look