PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Shut Down?

Joshua312
09-28-2007, 09:07 PM
Looks like the State of Michigan will be shutting down effective Monday unless a budget can be approved by Sunday night. Financial Aid loans, Education Programs, State Troopers, etc... will all be effected.

How can a Governor let the state get to such a point and not look out for the citizens and people of Michigan rather than stupid political b.s.

I cannot wait until we finally get a new Gov. in office!

Any other Michiganders fed up with our current standings, politically and economically standing?

imported_bigfoot
09-28-2007, 09:18 PM
Let me tell you this: Michigan is not the first state to go on a crisis like this. PA, NJ and Puerto Rico have shut down the goverment for days or even weeks because there`s no money to pay anybody. It sucksfor the people who work on the goverment, because they relly on the money they make in order to survive.

The only thing I can say is that sometimes, if not all the cases, is due to politicians personal agendas, like it happened in PR. Just because 1 party wanted a specific amount, and the other party wanted another, they did not agreed on a budget. And who paid the consecuences? The ones that work hard. The politicians? They still made their money including diets and transportation. How bad it got? Even when an emergency like that was going on, they took a 4 day recess.

So, in that case, and i`m kinda sure of Michigan`s as well, is going to hurt, but people get up, and they will continue forward.

My 0.02 cent rant

Joshua312
09-28-2007, 10:02 PM
I`m not sure how much more people can take and if they are able to get up and go forward, we are losing people left and right as they leave our State because there are no jobs!

Also, I believe in our case the budget number is already set, but the dispute now is how to reach that amount, whether through tax increase or other means.

:tumblewee

Setec Astronomy
09-29-2007, 07:50 AM
Speaking from a state that has, as noted, had the gov`t shut down, not to mention a similar exodus of manufacturing that started in the mid-80`s, I feel for you. I personally think a lot of the blame goes to the federal government, who could affect some of the conditions which erode our manufacturing strength as a nation and our local economies. Wouldn`t it be nice to hear that we are getting poisoned by our own manufacturing plants instead of ones in China? ;)

Hondaph00l
09-30-2007, 08:55 PM
Wow, Ive been living in TN for the past month or two, so this is news to me lol. That is troubling to hear though, I hope everything gets sorted out. Haha, its funny how Detroit and all its problems seems to call for its own governor just to deal with that side of the state. Hey Josh, did you ever hear about a metro train project that would run in GR from the city to the suburbs in between the lanes on 131? I a while back, like Carl Levin or some senator from our side of the state got the money appropriated for that but the governor funneled it into Detroit as soon as the money showed up or something. wow thats really ot but hey...

Grimm
10-01-2007, 08:25 AM
Well they averted the shut down as it only lasted four hours. I got this joke recently which I thought was great:

A Japanese doctor says, ‘Medicine in my country is so advanced that we can take a kidney out of one man, put it in another, and have him out looking for work in six weeks.’

A German doctor says, ‘That is nothing. We can take a lung out of one person, put it in another, and have him out looking for work in four weeks.’

A British doctor says, ‘In my country medicine is so advanced that we can take half a heart out of one person, put it in another, and have both of them out looking for work in two weeks.’

The Canadian doctor, not to be outdone, interjected, ‘You guys are way behind. We took a woman with no brains, sent her to Michigan where she became Governor, and now half the state is out looking for work.’

BobD
10-01-2007, 08:33 AM
The new service taxes are going to tick off a lot of people. Luckily there was no service taxes added to automotive repair.

BobD
10-01-2007, 01:03 PM
Oh, and for what it`s worth I don`t blame the Governor as much as a lot of people do. For one, this shut down deal, in my eyes, was 99% the fault of the law makers. They HAD the time to do something about it but waited until the last minute. As far as the economy goes, there are a lot of people I blame...I blame the mortgage companies for giving people loans for homes they could not afford, I blame the large companies for very bad planning and money handling and I blame the people for not supporting their local businesses. It`s funny how many people won`t buy an "import" car made in the US by US workers but they will go to Wal-Mart and everything they buy comes from China and that is alright.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
10-01-2007, 01:19 PM
Oh, and for what it`s worth I don`t blame the Governor as much as a lot of people do. For one, this shut down deal, in my eyes, was 99% the fault of the law makers. They HAD the time to do something about it but waited until the last minute. As far as the economy goes, there are a lot of people I blame...I blame the mortgage companies for giving people loans for homes they could not afford, I blame the large companies for very bad planning and money handling and I blame the people for not supporting their local businesses. It`s funny how many people won`t buy an "import" car made in the US by US workers but they will go to Wal-Mart and everything they buy comes from China and that is alright.

Very well said Bob, I agree 100%.

After 9-11 as you know the borders were shut down... as a result parts had a hard time making it to the OEM plants and since they are on a "just in time" shipment schedule, some plants went idle.... My point is, it became pretty obvious that the "domestics" weren`t as "domestic" as most would like to think!

Grimm
10-01-2007, 02:26 PM
Ditto what Bob said. I just roll my eyes when people accuse Bush of ruining the economy. Like he really has any control over it.

Joshua312
10-01-2007, 03:39 PM
The new service taxes are going to tick off a lot of people. Luckily there was no service taxes added to automotive repair.

It`s going to tick a lot of people off but I recently lost one of my jobs which was cleaning a Sports Bar I use to work at...they went to a cleaning service. Now with this new law they may have to pay a higher tax because it falls under the cleaning service tax...Which may mean my job will be available again since I was paid outside of the business :clap:

BobD
10-02-2007, 06:58 AM
Yeah, I talked to a guy who owns a janitorial business yesterday and he said he was just going to raise his prices to cover tax. lol

pgp
10-02-2007, 04:19 PM
We have had that happen here. Why can`t the state just continue with the old budget and correct the differences when the new one passes? It probably costs more to shut it down for a few days.