PDA

View Full Version : New car scratch

Whit
06-22-2005, 10:45 AM
I recently took delivery of a new GMC Yukon Denali and I`ve found a scratch on the top left corner of the hood. It is "V" shaped with a slight loop on the pointed end. The visibility of the scratch depends on the angle of lighting so I think it is just in the clear coat. I can feel it with my fingernail but it isn`t easy. Do you guys think it could be removed? I`d appreciate any help. Thanks.

Whit

GregCavi
06-22-2005, 11:04 AM
The old rule of thumb is that if you can feel it with your fingernail then it is to deep to repair. Chances are that the dealership causes the scratch. You could ask the dealership what they will do about it but usually your vehicle will end up in worse shape when it leaves then when you brought it in.

Greg

Koop
06-22-2005, 05:37 PM
Greg anounced the general rule and generaly it`s true. If you are proficient with sand paper and a rotory you may be able to get it out if it`s light enough, but it`s not easy and you never want to push your luck. I always hate suggesting it, but a good glaze I`m sure would hide it quite well if you can`t get it out.

Whit
06-22-2005, 10:10 PM
Would a sealant such as UPP be able to hide the scratch? Does it have any filling capacity?

GregCavi
06-22-2005, 10:23 PM
I dont believe UPP has an fillers. You will be looking for a glaze if you want to do a little bit of hiding. You might be interested in VM (vanilla moose) glaze or Adams BSG (brilliant spray glaze).

Greg