PDA

View Full Version : Need help fixing a spoiler

kdraughn1
09-28-2007, 02:09 PM
It`s the factory installed spoiler on a 99 Grand Am. It`s in pretty bad shape. The entire spoiler is cover in a white haze or film. Very rough to the touch. I can`t tell if it`s the clear coat starting to crack off of it or just some really bad oxidation. There are still a couple of spots that haven`t turned totally white yet. From the feel of it I would have to say it`s made out of a hard plastic but not sure. Is there anyway of buffing it to a better finish? I have a UDM and some Megs #2 Fine cut cleaner but not sure if that will do it or not. Any suggestions?

BigJimZ28
09-28-2007, 02:48 PM
bad news...

I don`t think anything short of pulling it off and having it paint is going to help

the other pc
09-28-2007, 04:13 PM
BigJimZ28’s right. It’s time for paint.

That “white haze or film†is all that’s left of what was once your clear.

PC.

kdraughn1
09-28-2007, 07:32 PM
Thanks, that`s what I was affraid of. Is there anyway to make it look a little less crappy until I can get it painted? I can get the rest of the car to look pretty good and then the spoiler just ruins it.

BigJimZ28
09-28-2007, 07:40 PM
Thanks, that`s what I was affraid of. Is there anyway to make it look a little less crappy until I can get it painted? I can get the rest of the car to look pretty good and then the spoiler just ruins it.

call some junk yards or check ebay

you might get lucky and find the same color is better shape

pb_foots
09-29-2007, 08:39 AM
try paintscratch.com for touch up spray cans. Pull the spoiler and repaint it yourself. I did this for my Impala a few months ago. My spoiler wasn`t as bad as yours, but almost.

It took a few days and a few cans of primer, color and clear, but it came out just fine. Not going to win any awards, but it looks at least as a good as the GM orange peel special that it came with new. It`ll be fine for a year until the car gets painted.